DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm interested in buying a programmer for my truck in the hopes that it will help with fuel economy (my truck must have a tapeworm) and also extend the rev limit so that I can finally get those rpm's up. I was wondering if anyone had any tips, suggestions, or opinons on any of the programmers on the market. I really have no idea if they are all one in the same, or if some are extremely superior to the rest. My interest was recently sparked when I found out that Hypertech programmers allow you to remain on 87 octane, which is a must considering the recent jump in gas prices. Also, do programmers render performance chips obsolete? Or can adding a chip after a program change still improve performance?

Thanks for the help Dodgetalkers! :help:

· Registered
18 Posts
I have the Superchip Max Mrcrio Tunner and I like it a lot i can run on the 87 octane or when i'm towing i set it on the tow perforamce setting, or when playing with the rice rockets i go to full out perforamce. u can raise your rpms (i don't know where it brings it up to but i ran mine up to 6 grand and it didn't shut down) recalculate speed for bigger tires up to i think 38's plue it changes your shift times for the bigger tires. and it a dignostics reader if you think you have any codes or a idiot light comes and you want to know whats wrong. I my self love it! imo.

· Chicks dig bench seats.
1,885 Posts
I'd go for either the Hypertech or Superchips.. They are both good units.

You CAN NOT mix a performance chip and a programmer. The programmer reprograms your stock computer rather than replacing it. The best part it you can change stuff like tire size, rev limiter, which octane gas.

The performance computers usually require 91 or 93 octane gas, so i would say a programmer is the way to go. I have mine set to 87 octane but run 89 because of the other mods i have it run better. If i use 87 it seems a little doggy.

The rev limiterjust raises the rpm govenor. That means rather than the engine choaking at 5200( i think is stock) you can raise it to, lets say 5500 rpms. The govenor protect the trans from being over worked. The only realy advantage to this is you can red line it higher, thats really it. And the only realy way you can do that is to shift it manually.

If you "get your RPM's up" you are going to burn more gas so that would totally go against your goal of better gas milage. There arent to many mods that will get you better milage. Nothing I have done has gotten me better milage yet. The only thing the has changed it is when my rear diff went out adn i had it replaced. I started getting about 2 mpg more than before.

Just curious, what milage do you get with your truck? I get about 13mpg and i think that is considered average.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advaice fellas, I appriciate the knowledge.

Tank, I'm getting about 13-14 mpg right now, and I know that's not bad at all considering I've got a 5.9. I think I would complain about filling my tank even if I got 30 mpg. :nutkick:

• Just out of curiousity Tank, does your Hypertech III programmer have a diagnostic function as well?
  • Also, when changing tire sizes, the programmers recalculate speed, but do you still need to change gears for equal performance levels?

Thanks again guys.....if anyone has other programmer tips feel free to let me know!

· Chicks dig bench seats.
1,885 Posts
It scans for codes if that is what you mean. But you can always do the triple ignition trick to get those.

It just corrects the speedo, that is all. If you want getter acceleration you need different gears, what gears are you running now?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.