DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ACE
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i'm just adding a rear locker and keeping the same gears could i do that myself? i figure all you have to do is unbolt caps unbolt ring gear and bolt everything up to locker or lsd right? o ya its an 04 2500 4x4 with a 10.50 rear axle and 3:73 gears and an open diff. let me know. thanks tom

·
Registered
161 Posts
depends on what locker or lsd you use. if it requires you to install the ring on a new carrier you will be involved with shimming, backlash, fowardlash, pinnion depth, and checking the wear pattern. if you get a replacment for the spider gears (not sure if there is one for this axle) then you should be able to do this yourself. The reason you will not just be able to bolt it up is because the locker will have different tolerences on it. it could be off by .002" and this will be enough for your pattern to move to far to the inside or out. this will cause premature gear failure. there is lots of reading on how to set up and axle gears yourself. patience is the key

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
If you have to ask, then NO, you can't do it yourself.

I'm not being sarcastic, it takes special tools and know how to change and setup gears.

·
ACE
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know ijust figured since i wasn't changig gears i wouldn't need to reshim it and stuff, but evidentily i do. would it be fairly cheap to take it somewhere to do since its just a carrier change and not everything? tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.