DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dont Dodge it, RAM IT!!
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram with a 5.2L V8 and i have a problem with the idle speed. I start it up and it instanly dies, so i have to gas it to start it up and if i let off of the gas then it dies. it's like it's idle speed is way too low. So i opened up the hood and look by the throttle body at the part with the throttle cables( i dont know what it is called) and they are very loose. Please help me

·
Registered
227 Posts
It is normal for the cables to be a little loose. Have you disconnected your battery recently? I had the same thing happen, had to take it to the dodge house and they told me it had lost it's idle memory. Don't know if that was ture or not when i got it back it would idle.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have to agree with Satora. I have a feeling that either you have disconnected your battery or it went dead and you had to jump it. Same thing happened to me several months ago. What I ended up doing was Start it then sit there with your foot on the gas giving it just enough to keep it running. I had to do this for about 10 minutes and before I knew it my foot came off the pedal and it stayed running just fine....give it a try and let us know what happens
Good Luck

·
Dont Dodge it, RAM IT!!
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys so much, i tried letting it idle for 10 minutes and it works great! We'll see how it does in the morning but I appreciate it so much!!!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
it also could be your tps. might wana check that.

·
Derelict
392 Posts
In my case it was a toasted battery. It would start but at idle the PCM sensed a low voltage condition and shut down (it's a feature, honest). Kepping the RPM up boosted the voltage enough to keep running.

Any battery shop will test the battery on their load cell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.