Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have an 04 Hemi QC that is experiencing a hard start issue in the mornings after sitting overnight. The truck has had recent new plugs (champions).... but thats all that has been done recently to it maintenence wise. In the morning it long cranks and then fires up and I get a good amount of unburned fuel smell in the exaust.
-The truck performs flawlessly otherwise, (decent gas mileage, great overall performance.)
-The truck has no codes thrown.
-Battery tested good (heard with a dying battery the starter can pull so much amperage that the fuel pump doesnt have enough juice to run.
-I tried leaving the key in the on possition to allow the fuel pump to cycle but it doesnt fix the problem. If I crank it for 2 seconds then stop and recrank it fires immediatly. If I just crank it till it fires its like 5-6 seconds. There isnt a miss when it fires up either.

I dont really want to take this to a shop, and dont have fuel pressure gauges to hook up, so what are some common issues that cause this....I have heard of the opposite thing being common that once the truck is warm it hard starts but mine is fine when its hot. Right from key off to crank fires right away when its been previously driven. (within 4 hours)

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
My first thought is a leaking fuel injector. Before you try anything in the morning, you need to get in under the hood and a depress the test port on the fuel rail to see if there's any fuel pressure in there. Have rag in hand just in case so you don't get fuel all over you or the engine. I'd also check the oil just in case. If it's dumping gas in the pan, you could be over filled just a touch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just did an oil change and put in 7 QTS exactly.... if it were a leaky injector is there a way to fix it with fuel injector cleaner or would I have to replace it? How can I test if I have a leaky injector. I thought if maybe I pulled them one at a time and left them plugged in and cycled the key it would show me its leaking by dripping? I wouldn't start the truck just pull an injector at a time and then cycle key off to key on for fuel pump to build pressure. I assume no fuel should come out of an injector unless the truck is running....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone else have any insight on this? Really kind of
Annoying that the truck runs perfect otherwise. Everyone seems to have the opposite issue as me. Mine hard starts cold. Most others when warm. I've heard of a cam position sensor issue as well....

·
Registered
872 Posts
if it does it after sitting for a long period of time, turning the key on , to let the pump prime is not enough to prime the system, a typical priming after a complete system drain is , 4-6 times / cycles, also our trucks are equiped with a 25 sec run/fail, wich means if you bump the key on to start the pump runs for 25 secs, turning the key on is to put pressure on the injectors not to re prime

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.