DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting here. I got me a nice 2006 Durango "Limited" and now want to install a double-din stereo.

My Durango does NOT have the navigation system, so the guy at the the Stereo install shop says I have to order a new dash bezel piece made for a Durango WITH a navigation system so that the opening will be large enough to accept a double din stereo. I call my local Dodge dealer and ask for that part.

This is where it get confusing. The guy at the parts counter ask for my VIN number and says "well your vehicle does not have the navigation system so I don't know which bezel to order for your 2006 Durango". He finds two possible choices, One of them is $130 and the other one is $300. but he apparently does not know which one I need? I dont know what the difference is in them but the $300 dollar one better be made of Gold! Any help or anyone gone through the same thing?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The part # was giving around here some time back........What color interior do you have and do you want the woodgrain or aluminum finish?

·
The Musical Enforcer
793 Posts
Hello Ebay is always a good starting point for that kind of thing!
Good luck

·
Registered
284 Posts
here are some part numbers fora slate grey interior hope this helps

Radio bezel for nav (slate grey):

1DK921D5AA

Nav bezel black bracket:

55056269AD

This is for a 2005 D that had the non nav system. There are actually 2 different brackets to hold it all in.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
When I ordered a new bezel for my D (to install an REC unit) my dealer showed me the two different versions of those bezels. Both had the aluminum finish, but one was slate gray on the sides while the other was beige. I'm assuming that since you have a Limited that you have the aluminum right? Both that were shown to me were the same price though. $130 sounds about right...If your dealer is worth his salt, he'll bring in both for you to look at so that you'll get the right one. And he'll have a happy customer. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, I got the right one ordered and should get it in a couple days. It's "Satin Sliver".
But New Problem....Now the stereo install shop says my new Pioneer Stereo, AVIC-F700BT Model, will not allow my Factory DVD Player in the back to work. He says the DVD Player works off the Factory Radio which comunicates with it through some kinda fancy computer, not just regular RCA plugs. Now he wants to sell me a new DVD Player that will wire up to the new Pioneer??? I never knew this would become so problematic.:bawl:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Have you looked at www.avic411.com great sight lots of info if it can be done someone there will know. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Your install shop is right. It's much more complex than just RCA. I don't know that there even IS an aftermarket head unit that would let you use the controls for the VES.

If I may ask, why are you looking at getting an aftermarket unit when if you were to get a Dodge Nav unit it would solve your problems. I'm not the audiophile now that I was 10 years ago, but when I bought my REC nav unit it seemed to do a good job and still does a better job than the Pioneer double din unit I used to have in my old vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm not sure what all the features are on the Dodge factory REC Nav unit, but a friend has the Pioneer AVIC-F700 aftermarket unit which has Navigation PLUS bluetooth capabilities for your cell phone, an Ipod adapter, a USB plug and memory card slot. Also the face of the Pioneer is completely touchscreen. He has all his music on a flash drive so he just plugs it into the stereo's USB plug. If he plugs in his Ipod, the face of the touchscreen stereo becomes the Ipod controls. He downloads all his cell phone contacts into the stereo so he just says "call home" and it DOES! It just all seemed too cool and made me really really want one.

Now Im gonna loose my steering wheel stereo controls and my factory VES. I never watch dvds back there anyway.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You don't have to lose the steering wheel stereo controls talk to your stereo shop they make modules for this so you can keep those controls.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Yep. :truestory:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is it just the bezel that's stopping me (or anyone else for that matter) from installing a double din sized radio???

I was under the impression that it's the slot/hole in general...

I was considering getting the stock NAV system in my D, but was hesitant with all the complaints with the other stock units...How long will the stock NAV actually work??? Are they problematic?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Look at the 08 VES unit for some of the capabilities you are missing...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
AFAIK the new VES fixed the unreliability and adds MP3 port...

You get to keep all the other functionality (controls and amp control interfaces)

i have not seen a new interior to sse if the unit fits our bezel though...

·
Where is the snow?
4,118 Posts
AFAIK the new VES fixed the unreliability and adds MP3 port...

You get to keep all the other functionality (controls and amp control interfaces)

i have not seen a new interior to sse if the unit fits our bezel though...

It will fit...I think. The interiors did not change significantly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
doesn't the '08 use the mygig?

I upgraded to the OEM nav (REC) in my '04 and all I needed was the bezel, mounting bracket and gps antenna (the hardest part but not that hard).

For the '06 you will need a few adapters if you choose to go after market.

VES should continue to work through the headphones I would think. Call or email Pac-Audio for all the details on VES operation.

pac-audio just released the new C2R-CHY4 (same as the one peripheral makes )

it combines the C2R-CHY and the SWI-CAN into one unit, still need the SWI-JACK, SWI-PS or whatever (depends on which aftermarket radio you have) to convert the cars digital (canbus) signal into an IR or Analog signal the Radio can understand for steering wheel control.

Product Overview

Radio replacement interface for Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles Product Description

The C2R-CHY4 is designed to allow the replacement of a factory radio with an aftermarket head-unit in late model Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles. It provides a time saving professional head-unit installation while retaining full use of the factory amplifier and speaker system. The C2R-CHY4 is the perfect plug & Play solution when installing a aftermarket navigation radio.

Vehicle Compatibility Notes

* In Premium Amplified Systems only two input channels can be used from the aftermarket radio, therefore there will be no fading capability of the aftermarket stereo.

Product Features

The C2R-CHY allows you to replace the factory radio in Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep LSFT CANbus vehicles. The C2R-CHY will also turn on the factory amplifier via CANbus information. The Steering wheel controls can be retained using the SWI-CAN/2 and a radio specific SWI-interface, once again plug and play when used with the C2R-CHY.
• R.A.P. (Retained Accessory Power) +12v output.
• VSS output.
• Illumination output.
• Parking brake output.
• Reverse trigger output.
• Digital amp turn-on.
Compatible Vehicles:
2004-2007 Durango
2005-2007 300, Magnum, Dakota, Charger, Grand Cherokee, Commander
2006-2007 Caliber, Ram, Mitsubishi Raider
2007 Aspen
2007-2008 Compass, PT Cruiser, Patriot, Caliber, Ram (Automatic Transmission)
2006-2007 Mitsubishi Raider

·
Registered
140 Posts
doesn't the '08 use the mygig?

I upgraded to the OEM nav (REC) in my '04 and all I needed was the bezel, mounting bracket and gps antenna (the hardest part but not that hard).

For the '06 you will need a few adapters if you choose to go after market.

VES should continue to work through the headphones I would think. Call or email Pac-Audio for all the details on VES operation.

pac-audio just released the new C2R-CHY4 (same as the one peripheral makes )

it combines the C2R-CHY and the SWI-CAN into one unit, still need the SWI-JACK, SWI-PS or whatever (depends on which aftermarket radio you have) to convert the cars digital (canbus) signal into an IR or Analog signal the Radio can understand for steering wheel control.

Product Overview

Radio replacement interface for Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles Product Description

The C2R-CHY4 is designed to allow the replacement of a factory radio with an aftermarket head-unit in late model Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles. It provides a time saving professional head-unit installation while retaining full use of the factory amplifier and speaker system. The C2R-CHY4 is the perfect plug & Play solution when installing a aftermarket navigation radio.

Vehicle Compatibility Notes

* In Premium Amplified Systems only two input channels can be used from the aftermarket radio, therefore there will be no fading capability of the aftermarket stereo.

Product Features

The C2R-CHY allows you to replace the factory radio in Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep LSFT CANbus vehicles. The C2R-CHY will also turn on the factory amplifier via CANbus information. The Steering wheel controls can be retained using the SWI-CAN/2 and a radio specific SWI-interface, once again plug and play when used with the C2R-CHY.
• R.A.P. (Retained Accessory Power) +12v output.
• VSS output.
• Illumination output.
• Parking brake output.
• Reverse trigger output.
• Digital amp turn-on.
Compatible Vehicles:
2004-2007 Durango
2005-2007 300, Magnum, Dakota, Charger, Grand Cherokee, Commander
2006-2007 Caliber, Ram, Mitsubishi Raider
2007 Aspen
2007-2008 Compass, PT Cruiser, Patriot, Caliber, Ram (Automatic Transmission)
2006-2007 Mitsubishi Raider
So is this what I would need in order to install an aftermarket radio?

Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well I'm not sure what all the features are on the Dodge factory REC Nav unit, but a friend has the Pioneer AVIC-F700 aftermarket unit which has Navigation PLUS bluetooth capabilities for your cell phone, an Ipod adapter, a USB plug and memory card slot. Also the face of the Pioneer is completely touchscreen. He has all his music on a flash drive so he just plugs it into the stereo's USB plug. If he plugs in his Ipod, the face of the touchscreen stereo becomes the Ipod controls. He downloads all his cell phone contacts into the stereo so he just says "call home" and it DOES! It just all seemed too cool and made me really really want one.

Now Im gonna loose my steering wheel stereo controls and my factory VES. I never watch dvds back there anyway.
Do you know if this unit MUST use the DVD/CD player to enable navigation? Or can it be done using the SD card slot?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.