DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i new here. ok first info on van it a 1994 grand carravan eng 3.8 fwd everything power
ok here my problem i put a new alt not rebuilt a new battery and a engine computer
the problem i have is my volt on van had before this stuff i need to replace was 14.4 volts is now only 13.5 volts it goes down to 12.7-9 volts when turn on everything rearand front a/c , lights, radio , etc. but when nothing it stays at 13.3-4 volts but the van runs good with no problems no check engine light. i check the whole engine wire harness the alt one i retape it and loom it i don't see any burn wires. at this point im stuck don't know what to do has anybody had this problem or if anybody could help me with this problem. i already put 500 dollar in to the van and still have the same problem

Thanks in Advance Kingss

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sounds normal to me. At idle and everything turned on the alternator may not be spinning fast enough to produce enough current to power everything, so the battery has to make up the difference and the voltage will drop. Measure the voltage again, but raise the engine RPM's a bit, the voltage should rise back up to ~13.5. An inexpensive meter may not be very accurate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i did raise up the rpms to like 2000-3000 rpms with everything on but the highest it goes is 13.6 volts but drops back down to 13-12.9 volts on idle. i never had this peoblem before. ok i found out that the mini trip computer display it not working i can't change it to other displays would that effect my volts if the mini trip computer display is mess up.and do you think a engine diagnostic will find out this but i have no check engine light on at all or should i take everything apart like dash and and the inside and check all wires for any burn up wires.

·
Registered
30 Posts
>>ok i did raise up the rpms to like 2000-3000 rpms with everything on but the highest >>it goes is 13.6 volts but drops back down to 13-12.9 volts on idle

That is what it should do. The faster the alternator spins the more power it can generate. Please read http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm it's the best quick alternator tutorial I can find right now. 14.4 volts is at the high end of acceptable voltage range. It's usually used in high end audio setups with high current 200 amp alternators.
Don't bother tearing everything apart. If the display on the trip computer is on, then the wiring is probably fine. Maybe disassemble it and check out the buttons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.