DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

help weird sound coming from x-case or diff

807 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  98ram5.9l 
#1 ·
i need some help finding out whats wrong with my truck everytime i put it in reverse i hear a cling coming from the rear differential or the transfer-case i went under the truck and move the drive shaft left and right and theres play in it is this normal or how much play is normal seems to move a bit too much for my opinion also a sound everytime i move the driveshaft like something loose in the transfer case

i was also just reading about the cetering ball on these trucks could it be this also thats causing this sound?????:help:

have any 1 had this problem bfore the truck is 98 360 4x4 no lift stock on 20s never been used for towing hauling pulling nothing

#4 ·
With trans or T case in NEUTRAL, check for any play in U joints/cups(also for dry), loose yokes, pinion and T case brgs; and oils for level, water, cuttings, etc. Check slip yoke for wear/dry. How much play on rear dr shaft/diff(inches or*); diff "may" need shims.
What you got, model, etc?
Centering ball/CVjoint at the frt of T case is not in use in 2wd.

#6 ·
Slip yoke/joint is a splined setup that allows dr shaft to change length as axle goes up/down. It may have a ribbed/acccordian style boot.

You may get greater responce if you say WHAT truck it is.

#7 ·
If it's a 'ping' like noise it's probably a bad U joint and it's ringing through the driveshaft.

#8 ·
Woodstock said:
If it's a 'ping' like noise it's probably a bad U joint and it's ringing through the driveshaft.
.X2. .. Had a 90 1/2 4X reg cab/box(long 1pc shaft) with AMS 75/90 that got water in it a few times; when that light oil was thinned out with water, it would kind of ring, sound tinny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.