DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an 84 D100 and it's my first time working on an engine. Working on some electrical issues and just trying to understand what I'm looking at with the wiring (lots of which is brittle, exposed, etc.).

Unwrapped some electrical tape to uncover this sorry bit of wiring. The leads are too short and the wires too brittle on both wires to reconnect them, so I'd like to replace them. My questions:

1. Is this 4-way connecter just splitting the current from the incoming wire to be carried to 4 different components? (The single lead on the one side connects to the positive terminal.)
2. Is the 4-way connecter a typical part, and if so where would I get a replacement?
3. What is the black plastic football on the other lead? Shielding? A resistor? Where can I get a replacement wire that will serve the same function?

Thanks for taking a look! I'm a newbie but excited to learn.

The specific wires:
Plant Gas Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Auto part

The wide angle:
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door Gas Steering wheel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For anyone else who stumbles across this post looking for the same information, I googled the number on the part and learned this is a fusible link. The black rubber is insulation around a span of wire that is (typically) 4 gauges thinner than the rest of the wire. In case of a surge of current, the wire in the insulation will burn up without setting the whole car on fire. These were apparently used quite a bit in older vehicles. The part with one wire coming in and 4 coming out is also a fusible link, but apparently one that takes the incoming current and divides it between 4 outputs.

Anyway, now I think I have enough info to find a replacement for at least the blue wire. Though I don't think anyone sells fusible link/splitters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts