Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, Happy Thanksgiving!

I have a 2001 1500 4x4 Auto with the 318. It has just under 150,000 miles on it and is lifted about 3" with 33"s on it. I was pulling an empty trailer on my farm yesterday. It rained the day before, so I was in 4-Hi, but I came across what looked to bea muddier part than usual, slowed below 5 mph, engaged 4-Lo and went in. Long story, short: got stuck.

Tried to rock it a little and at one point hit the gas hard to clean out the tires and it spun up and then... nothing. No more wheel spin at all. Not even trying to spin the driveshaft at all. Got towed out and took a look at it. All the linkage to be in good working order.

I'm trying to determine if the transmission or the T-case went out. The hole was much deeper than I had thought, and I was in some pretty deep water (enough for it to come in the bottom of the doors while I was stuck). My two theories right now are: 1. Water came in through a vent tube and flooded the trans or 2: I busted the T-case chain.

I normally would test this by unbolting the T-case and seeing if the output on the trans was turning over. I was hoping that someone out there knew of a way to check which went bad, besides pulling the T-case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My only other running mode of transportation right now is my motorcycle, and it is getting very cold, very quick.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
we did this to a jeep (350 chevy drive train) last month to figure out the same thing..
both 231 transfer .. drain oil from transfer watch for metal or material in oil,,,
if you remove the fill plug you can see the chain ,, if it on gear etc,,, to see if was good
had vechial on 4 good jack stands ,, puttin the transfer in different selections and moving tires you can determin if still operating corectly.
example trans in park,, transfer in 4wd drive shafts should not move,,,transfer in 2wd rear drive shaft no move
trans in nutral ,transfer 4wd front and rear driveshafts will locked together spin as one
one note just right front tire spins free unless running is why i say watch drive shafts
the rear tires and open diff in opposite direction freely is why i say to watch driveshaft
and just spin tires

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help! Don't know why I didn't think of that. It's also good to know that I can see the chain and drive gear through the drain plug. I'll post up what the verdict is when I get back from Thanksgiving vacation.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
glad to help and good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.