DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed the CAI a couple of days ago. I replaced the dist cap yesterday and it ran great. I began to question whether or not I rest the PCM correctly so I went out and did it again today. I took it for a test drive and my CHECK ENGINE light came on. I pulled over and shut the truck off and it would not restart. It turns over but will not fire. I reset PCM again and it just won't fire.

Please help...what could this be? My truck is stranded about a mile from my house.

The only other thing I did was adjust my left tail pipe to raise it a little.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
no need to reset pcm . double check the cap you could of disturbed the cam sensor .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the cap yesterday and it ran fine but today after my PCM reset, I got the check engine light and it would not start after shutting it off. I checked the wires on the cap today and they all seemed fine.

What exactly should I check on the cap? WHere is the cam sensor?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
cam sensor is under cap . check your fuses aswell . did the cel stay on or come back after you reset pcm ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I reset it a couple of times. One time it stayed on and the other it went off.

Is it the ignition fuse I should check or ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going back down to see if I can get it back to the house.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
double , triple check everything you have done . pull the cap off/up look at cam sensor making sure it seated properly it can easly be moved . all fuses. dont reset pcm tell you get it fixed . you will need the code , every time you reset the code gets earased .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just tired again and it doesn't seem as though it's getting any gas. I took the filter off, tried to start and even pumped the accelerator and no gas smell or gas in the throttle body.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
did you check the cam sensor ? if its bad/or been moved the ASD RELAY shuts down the fuel system and you get no fuel .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am having it towed back to my house so I can take a better look. I will check the cam sensor then. What exactly does the sensor look like. As you know, it will be hard to get a good look at it due to where it is mounted.

Why would it run fine and then not run the next day? Is it possible I did not correctly reset the PCM yesterday and it was not reading the problem but since I reset it properly...now it is reading the problem?

Thanks much for all your help!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this it?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
theres no wrong way to reset the pcm per say i like to remove both - and + cables from the battery waiting 5min then touch them together . running good yesterday bad today again back track everthing you have done . other then that it could be many thing . do you have a code reader to pull the code ? the code has the answer .

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
yes thats it .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, unfortunately I don't have a code reader.

When I said I reset the PCM incorrectly...

I did not disconnect the neg terminal...

I have been holding down the trip meter button and then putting key in "on" position.

"Check" then comes up on the trip meter and then flashes all 9's or 0's (can't remember).

Then the gauges flash or move to 1/4 position then half then full.

All warning lights come on then everything turns off.

I did not let the process go all the way thru yesterday when I though I reset the PCM. It read "check" and then I turned the key off so that's why I don't think it reset.

What's the difference between unhooking the neg terminal and this procedure for resetting the PCM? Are both ways correct as I have seen different people on this site say to do it different ways?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
thats the actuator test . do that test again and record the message it displays in the odometer . it should read 999 then another set of #'s , if it just 0's running in a circle theres no code . then it will continue with a gauge sweap . this does not reset pcm .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
will do. I am waiting on the tow truck driver now.

·
The Man
365 Posts
Pull your cap off and make sure your rotor is on correctly and all the way. Also when you re-install your cap make sure the cam position sensor is in the right location and sitting flush as well as the cap.

You can easily check for fuel pressure at the schradder(?) valve on the fuel rail.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
I just tired again and it doesn't seem as though it's getting any gas. I took the filter off, tried to start and even pumped the accelerator and no gas smell or gas in the throttle body.
being fuel injection you wont get any fuel smell by pumping the tb only way to tell if you have a fuel problem is hook up a pressure gauge

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well...that sucked! I bought a new cam sensor and put it on but did not notice due to the position of the distributor that the pulse ring was bent. Now I need a new sensor and probably a whole new distributor. 60 bucks down the drain so far!

The pulse ring is spiraled and just broke the sensor.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
that sucks, where in st pete are you, at least down there parts stores are better and have more availability.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.