DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a set of 17" American Racing wheels put on today and when i got home i went to shine them and noticed the front wheels were very hot. Only the front though. So i took of the two front wheels and noticed the brake pads were touching with the brake off. I turned the rotors and could hear the friction. What could cause the brakes not to release and how can i fix it. I highly doubt it is the new wheels they do not rub anywhere i think i just never noticed it before.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The torque of the lugs is very important. Check the specs and adjust. I think for 1500s it's 135 ftlbs

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sounds normal to me.
Mine have always been like that. They only back off "a
hair", due to the resistance of the seal oround the discs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it's normal for them to be real close but i am pretty sure mine are closer than they should be and when i got out of the truck after riding for half hour it smelled burnt outside. And the wheels were burning hot. If i held my hand on it for a couple second it would burn my skin. That is not normal.

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Been HEMIphied
1,933 Posts
If the installer used an impact wrench, that's a BIG NO-NO, especially on disc brakes. The lug nuts should be hand tightened, then torqued to around 50 ft/lbs, in an across-the-hub pattern, then torqued to 100 ft/lbs, again in the same pattern. You should also recheck the torque after 25 to 30 miles after the initial install, then once a week or every 200 miles. This is especially important with aftermarket wheels.

Many aftermarket 17" wheels do not provide enough clearance for the calipers, on the new Dodge Rams, to operate properly. I'm running a set of 18" American Racing Vanguards, because my first choice was a 17" American Racing wheel that did not provide enough clearance for the calipers. The 18" Vanguards actually have less clearance with the calipers than the factory 17" wheels.

If you still have your factory wheels and tires, you might want to install them on the front, drive the same distance, and see if the problem repeats. It could be the factory calipers are hanging up.

I do know, that my front wheels also get very hot to the touch. More so than the rears. So as previously posted, this could be normal. Does the truck seem to stop normally? Have you noticed any brake fade? Are there any noticeable noises from the brakes while driving, turning, or stopping?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought of that to. To just change the wheels and see if that is the problem. I noticed that the steering wheel was shaking but not just while braking but while driving to. But i think that is due to improper balancing. If the pads are hanging up or not releasing how can i get them to release?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I guess "hot" is subjective.
How about this... If I jack up my front end, grab the
wheel with both hands, and give it a good spin, it'll
go around about 3/4 of a turn. Is that normal? :dunno:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well last night i took off the clip that is around one lug on each front hub and the shake is gone. I am beginning to think it is normal for it to be hot but when i say hot i mean hot. Literally hand burning hot not just warm.

·
Been HEMIphied
1,933 Posts
Jimsram said:
well last night i took off the clip that is around one lug on each front hub and the shake is gone. I am beginning to think it is normal for it to be hot but when i say hot i mean hot. Literally hand burning hot not just warm.
You mean those idiots did not remove the clip? Most aftermarket wheels don't have a recess for the retaining clip, and will not mount flush. Glad you figured it out and got the clips off. The clips are not necessary and are only put on to retain the rotors during the assembly line process.

Brakes will generate heat to well over one hundred degrees F. So yes, if you touch the wheel, you will get burned. I think that's fairly normal.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks for the info. Makes me feel better about my wheels
no those idiots did not remove the clips. I asked them about it and they wiggled the tire and said nope loooks like it's fine. Oh well all set now. I will post pics as soon as i can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.