DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help here. Did some brake work on the truck today, finished that (all well) and went to change out both battery cables (pos was in sad shape). Cleaned the posts etc, attached the neg first - no problem. Then the pos to the starter relay first and then the pos at the battery - lots o' sparks. So I disconnected the neg at the battery and connected the pos battery, no prob. The the neg at the battery - lots o' sparks again.

Given the issues discussed here I want to be very cautions on the hook up. Any thoughts, ideas, etc?

One thing just came to mind, would this happen if I over tightened the starter relay nut would this cause a short - hence sparks?

Thanks,
L

·
1977 Power Wagon Utiline
347 Posts
L5wolvesf said:
One thing just came to mind, would this happen if I over tightened the starter relay nut would this cause a short - hence sparks?

L
Yes and no. There should have been a piece of almost card board looking/ feeling material to help avoid contact of the various cables. But if that all checks out OK then you have an electrical short.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed - the pos cable end was touching the starter contact on the relay. Trimmed down the cable end. Probably gonna swap in a Ford relay when I do the rewire.

Thanks,
L

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
Fixed - the pos cable end was touching the starter contact on the relay. Trimmed down the cable end. Probably gonna swap in a Ford relay when I do the rewire.

Ahhh.... It's always the little stuff that you least suspect, eh? :D :D :D

·
1977 Power Wagon Utiline
347 Posts
I'm going to switch to the F*%$ / universal solenoid very soon myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.