DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Shut up and drive!
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel pretty stupid right now, I cant figure out how to get my spare on. The truck did not come with one, dont know why. the bracket thats connected to the cable that holds the tire up, its bigger than the hub of the tire. What am I missing here?

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
That is wierd..........so Im gonna subscribe and see what is said on this.

·
Shut up and drive!
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, its weird! Ive always been able to angle that bracket and slide it through. Not on this one though. Even the manual says to slide it through. :/

·
Charlie
666 Posts
I dont even run a Spare. Keep a can of Fix of flat in your truck. Its a more of a pain in the ass than its worth to mess around with that spare tire.

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
that is weird because the diameter of the hole on the spares that I have seen is the same size as the aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Is the wheel you're going to use as the spare an aluminum one? Because I believe the hub diameter is smaller than that of the steel chrome, and if you can, compare it to an actual all black spare. That's my explanation.

·
Mopar or no car!
1,959 Posts
Either thats not the correct spare for the truck of not the correct piece to hold the spare on. I thought the bore of the wheel was like 2 1/2 inches roughly to clear the hub?? I know my 20" spare is opened up bigger to fit in that piece to tuck it up under the bed.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I thought the bore of the wheel was like 2 1/2 inches roughly to clear the hub?? I know my 20" spare is opened up bigger to fit in that piece to tuck it up under the bed.
That's kind of what I was trying to convey. An actual spare's hole is bigger to fit.

·
Shut up and drive!
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess the spare is a bit larger, ill have to do my first mod on this thing lol. The wheel I picked up was a chrome aluminum from an 06. Got it for 50 bucks, cheap than a spare at a wrecking yard. I could really care less what type of spare i have, i just need a 20". I can cut the bracket a bit to make it fit, but I want to make sure its still strong enough, dont wanna lose the spare on the highway. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.
I have kids and travel a lot, so i cant rely on fix-a-flat, gotta have a spare :)

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
I happen to have a steelie in my garage. I have six with studded snows on them ... long story. Here is how large that opening is ...

Attachments

·
Wilson
971 Posts
Either thats not the correct spare for the truck of not the correct piece to hold the spare on. I thought the bore of the wheel was like 2 1/2 inches roughly to clear the hub?? I know my 20" spare is opened up bigger to fit in that piece to tuck it up under the bed.
I just went out and looked at mine. The spare bore is bigger.

·
Shut up and drive!
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gotta leave it to dodge to make this difficult! lol MOD TIME :)

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
You're spare holder looks different than what mine used to be. Mine didn't have the large spring loaded piece on it... maybe thats an 06+ thing.

Either way, something somewhere isn't right. Find what that is and swap it out, problem solved. You can also just not carry a spare and have a patch kit with fix a flat handy OR you can go the route we do in AZ and just mount it in the bed :D

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Just take your cheap spare to a local machine shop nad have the center machined out to the size of the steelie shown.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Just trim the bracket plate. I ran into a similar issue as you. I have an aluminum 17" wheel under my truck as a spare. The center bore opening is much smaller than the spare bore, which is the same size opening as the plain jane and chome 17" wheels. I trimmed like 1/4" off each side of that securing plate. Slides through no problem now.

KB

·
Shut up and drive!
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may have to do that. Any recommendations on cutting it without removing it from the truck. Ill use a chop saw if i have to remove it, but if there is an easy way without removal, ill be all over that

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
You may run into an issue if your at stock height. :) I have a 5" rear drop and lowered the cable down until the spare plate actually sits flat on the ground. Then I just took a metal handsaw and started sawing away. I marked a line and cut it on both sides. The plate is still plenty strong and didn't get any weaker.

I imagine you can bring a short stool under there and lay something on top. This way you don't cut whatever your using to support the bracket. But test fit how thin you need it to be. make an equal length cut from each side. I then took a file to the edges to deburr it and round off the sharp corners. Works well for me. :tup:

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.