DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was hoping someone may have advice or an idea. I live in not the greatest area. The truck has been fine except someone is repeatedly taking the side view mirrors, just the mirrors. They appear to pop them out, but there is no way to replace the mirror without replacing the whole plastic frame, which gets expensive. Does anyway know a gadget or gismo I could try to to prevent this? I have an alarm and when they take them out they don't even trigger it. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

· WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,433 Posts
Mufasa149 said:
there is no way to replace the mirror without replacing the whole plastic frame, which gets expensive.
then why do they steal them? sounds like they're f-ing w/you
The limos in the city all have a frame screwed around the housing to prevent popping it out.
If only you drive the D, silicone the suckers in. Set it and forget it.

· Banned
11,654 Posts
I wonder why they would steal the mirrors. That seems strange.

· Registered
61 Posts
Take your D back the the alarm place and have them install a sensor that ranges about 1ft perimiter around the truck. The alarm will go off as they are reaching for it!
Even if a new system is required im sure its cheaper then replacing mirror after mirror. They cant even get close enough to look into the windows. Viper Alarms makes an anoying one but there is a new one out that rules. Good Luck

· Registered
24 Posts
I don't have any clue why they would want just the mirrors unless it is someone pissed at you. Have you had to repalce any passenger side units yet? The reason I ask is that the mounting points on mine are broken from something hitting them while driving. If the housings are still ok I may be interested in them off your hands.

· Registered
747 Posts
That is crazy. I see no use for just the mirror part to anybody that doesn't own a D.

· '99 Durango SLT
285 Posts
There is this crazy homeless guy I see every once in while… a couple of towns away from where I live. He is covered from head to toe in mirrors. They are attached to his coat, his pants and his hat. I think he uses them to keep the space aliens away. Maybe you got one of these geniuses in your neighborhood? This doesn't sound like the behavior of a rational person. Unless someone is messing with you.

· Banned
11,654 Posts
lol :thatfunny

· Registered
282 Posts
pretty common around here

so what we do, is put a fiberglass, carbonfiber or kevlar ring around the housing and secure it with good old fashion rivets, or some epoxy type glue...here's pics of my D's mirror with the ring, mine are inside rings, they would have to take destroy the housing to take the mirrors. Another thing is is etching the last # of your vin in the glass.

Attachments

· WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,433 Posts
This is great. Can we get Scully and Muldar to look into this? It's apparently not just a Ford thing. I remember going back to my work car in Manhattan (wait it was a Ferd) many yrs ago, a deranged bum is pushing all the sideview mirrors in w/his finger leaving a big print. I said hey whats up, he just growled.

Chant, that looks like the Lincoln mod except there's about 6 rivets/screws holding the sucker on.

· Registered
282 Posts
by the way how much are the whole mirrors in the states, i passed by the dealership today and out here they run for 130usd each complete mirror and housing, they didn't have the glass in stock for now

· Registered
747 Posts
Go to www.dodgeparts.com and then go to the OEM catalog. Go into front door, then outside mirrors, then either mirror glass or the power mirror itself. With heat just the glass runs 18-25 $ usd. If you want the whole power mirror they are just as or more spendy than you said.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.