Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...

I have a 2005 dodge 3500 single axle 4x4 Laramie quad cab that has the 24 valve diesel and 220,000km. As of late I have noticed a dramatic increase in vibrations during low speed accelerations and, highs speed highway driving. I know the rear U joint is gone and in need of replacing but, I also hear a knocking sound coming from the rear diff.

Upon closer inspection and after removing the diff cover I found NO obvious wear on any of the gears and, there was no metal or contaminants in the diff fluid.

I checked the back lash and found that it was 1.37 where the specs state that it should be between .08 and .25. Any thoughts on my specs and what the manual states. In reality and given the size of the diff and truck, is 1.37 acceptable? if not, where else can I look to see what is causing that much play?

Any help would be most appreciated :smile

·
Registered
266 Posts
Is there play in the pinion bearing? That's the only thing I can think of that would allow the backlash to get to that point, unless it was set that way from the factory...which is unlikely

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ring bearing...

At this point I have not taken the front seal off to look at the bearings....I was not wanting to jump that deep into the repair yet. How would I check the play on the bearing? (and thank you for your reply...its greatly appreciated)

·
Registered
266 Posts
You should be able to grab the driveshaft right before it connects to the diff and wiggle it back and forth - it should not move. Look for the pinion moving in the differential (laterally). If it does move the bearing is probably bad. Here's a video that demonstrates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfGQjhIvAFo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.