DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this has to be a power steering issue but my dealership can't find the problem because it has stopped doing the noise by the time I get there and the van is finally warmed up!!!! This started a couple weeks ago when it is cold it whines mainly when I am turning. I bought my 2002 Grand Caravan from a 5 star dodge dealership one year ago. I have since moved out of state and am going to another 5 star by my home but by the time I get there the car has warmed and stopped making the noise so they think I am a nut that hears noises that are not there. Any ideas about what it may be would be helpful I am going crazy with it. :help: :help:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Leave the van at the dealer overnight if you can, so the probelm will be duplicated when its first started.

Cheers
Chet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My 02 also does this. With an added bonus. Occasionally when cold, the power steering doesn't work until it warms up. Sucks when you forget and back out of the drive way and realize you need top be a gorilla to turn the wheel!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
stiffness in the power steering when cold is, in my experience, a sign of failure of the seals inside the steering rack

early eighties GM products were well known for this - it was called morning sickness

·
Registered
5 Posts
Van Whining

Take care not to add the Lucas P/C fluid over the full indicator mark or try replacing the recommended Mopar P/C in the reservoir. Withdrawing an amount of Mopar P/C equal to a quarter of the down from the full mark in the reservoir should be sufficient ( I used the $2 hose pump sold at PEPBOYS) . Cap it off with the Lucas P/C fluid. In my case, this remedy worked instantly and the whinning has not returned.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Power steering noises

I got rid of the constant whine by filling the PS reservoir to the top. This was recommended by my dodge dealer. I had exchanged the fluid for Lucas, it worked for a little while and started whining again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dodge has a TSB about the power steering noise. This is mainly for vehicles made 2001 and before. I have a 2001 T & C and it began to whine when it began to get cold outside.

Dodge says to jack the vehicle up and take one of the hoses off at the cooler underneath the vehicle. With the engine off, turn the steering wheel back and forth until all the fluid is pushed out of the steering gear. Also you will need to replace the reservoir which has a screen in it. Refill with Dextron 4 (synthetic ATF) with engine off rotate steerring wheel back and forth about 20 times to refil the steering gear. Then start and turn back and forth a couple times. Lower vehicle and you're done. The air will not totally clear out of system for about 100 miles.

I did this and my power steering is quiet and works great. THe Lucas additive is a patch fix. To do it right flush and refill with new reservoir

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.