DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 dodge 1/2 ton with 3.9 6 cylinder..I am wanting to swap out my standard shift for a automatic.has anyone done this...can anyone point me in the right direction to what trans to use and if i have to use the computer contolled trans or a older style that will bolt up...I am planning on using a floor shifter

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Well, the 46RE automatic transmission is kind of a weak link in our trucks. Is there a specific reason why you would want to revert to an automatic? Your standard should last longer. Sorry that I was no help in answering your question, just offering a little insight. If you want to go to automatic, get an aftermarket one like Dr. Evil trannys or something like that. I am sure someone else will chime in with some good ideas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do alot of driving through the city stopping at alot of red lights...Truck is PAID FOR and the clutch is heavy

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Get a TF 727 or TF 904, install it and forget it.
Either of the above Mopar tranny will easily last 100,000 miles behind a V8, so they should give you long service behind a V6.
An manual to auto swap is a little easier than swapping a stick into an auto.
You can get a universal cable type floor shifter.
You will not need a different PCM if you go with the above trannys, if you go with a 46RE you will need to source a salvage yard or order a new one specifically flashed for a auto tranny.
You'll need a different flywheel, pilot bearing is different (i think), and you will most likely need to change you drive shaft length.
That's just what comes to mind right away, there are some other issues that will need addressing.

edit: if you leg is getting fatigued from pushing the clutch you could try installing a diaphram type clutch assembly, or some other setup that would require less input to actuate the clutch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.