DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question on installing a fuel pressure guage for the lift pump. I've got an electric gauge, sender, banjo bolt, and two washers. I know how to install them, but want to know the start-up or bleed procedure.

Is just turning the key on and off a few times to run the lift pump without starting the engine enough, or is there a better bleed procedure?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Turn the keyswitch just barely enough to engage the starter then quickly release. This is known as "bumping the starter" and will get you a free 25 second lift pump run. I "bump" mine 3 times after changing the fuel filter or any other fuel work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have always had to break the injector lines right at the head to get the air out and then tighten them as it starts ti squirt out. usually only the first, third and fourth cylinders.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the lift pump pressurize the lines to the injectors at all, or only the injection pump?

·
Registered
32 Posts
It will pressure to the injector pump only. You need to break the lines and watch while someone cranks the engine. While cranking watch for diesel to squirt out as soon as it does tigthen up that cylinder and move on to the next one. as i mentioned before you should only have to open up three lines. make sure you loosen the nuts on the head side not the pump side. good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are the solutions for a very unobtrusive, finished looking single gauge mount? Dirt cheap if possible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the kind of mount I was thinking about. Is there any accessory that might be in this place?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My friend has an '01 with symptoms that match a bad lift pump. Very hard to start after changing fuel filter and sometimes surges at highway speeds. Does running with a bad lift pump usually harm the fuel distributer/injector pump? Thanks for any info. Allen- e/m me if you can

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I've heard when your lift pump pressure drops low enough it will kill the injection pump($1500-2000) within a few miles, as would a dead lift pump.

·
Registered
32 Posts
change it now!!!! unless $ grows on trees for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fuel lift pump

Changed the lift pump in the 2001 Cummins and it runs like a stripped.... you know. Seems like there is no damage to other components. Thanks to all for the information. By the way, the lift pump was $200 at NAPA through my workplace. Amost 300 otherwise. Allen

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have an idiot light system, activates below 5psi. Bright led that I installed in the istrument cluster. Gets your attention NOW when it activates. cheap insurance at $50.00.
I also used the cubby storage for a pyrometer. looks good and is not in the way. I find the pillar mounts to close in my face

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lift pump idiot light...

Where did you find the light kit for fifty bucks? Everything I have found is at least fifty percent more. Thanks.

·
Banned
10 Posts
derherr65 said:
This is the kind of mount I was thinking about. Is there any accessory that might be in this place?
DerHerr, that's where the seat heater controls are in my truck. That cubby is a great place for a fuel pressure gauge.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Did somebody say cheap? Meet the cheapo lift pump fuel gauge...free.
It's a US Gage rear connect, wire tied to the trailer brake bracket and found to be within 1/2 psi when tested. :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.