DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking on buying a fastman TB for my 2002 5.9 durango. now i was just wondering if i need to get anything else for this mod to make it run perfect. for example a new mopar intake manifold........thanks in advance.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You need to start thinking "Total Package".

The FastMan TB is an excellent mod. However, by itself alone, you will not get the "knock you back in the seat" kick many of us are looking for.
For that kind of response, you need to think of the package you wish to build and run.

The basic package is:

FastMan TB
Cold Air Intake System (there are MANY to choose from)
Free flowing exhaust

The next step is to add:

Headers
M-1 Intake Manifold
Mopar PCM/SuperChips/Hypertech/B&G M-1 PCM Flash

The next step beyond that is:
Camshaft
Ported R/T Heads
B&G Custom PCM Flash

The final step is:
Built Motor
SuperCharger

The final two steps are considered EXTREME.
Most folks are very satisfied with the first two steps.

Mark

(P.S. You gotta stop thinking about "running perfect". That kind of thinking will make you go broke real fast)

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Yo, Fig - Check out Mark's signature. He KNOWS what he's talking about!

Mark - As usual, good advise, mate!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going with the basic package, but instead of a CAT back in step 1, I wanted to start with new headers and work all the way through. I am assuming I need to keep the same CAT, but change the pipes from the Headers to the CAT. I am looking at a Magnaflow or Dynamax CAT back. Not sure on the headers. Not looking to break the bank, or get really loud. Just wanted a good system with a good sound.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
484 Posts
toddbuckles said:
I am going with the basic package, but instead of a CAT back in step 1, I wanted to start with new headers and work all the way through. I am assuming I need to keep the same CAT, but change the pipes from the Headers to the CAT. I am looking at a Magnaflow or Dynamax CAT back. Not sure on the headers. Not looking to break the bank, or get really loud. Just wanted a good system with a good sound.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd,

Good choices.

I have found the DynoMax to be a bit quieter than the Magnaflow.

As for headers, one thing to keep in mind is the "Y" pipe that joins them. That is the real bottleneck in the whole system. It really "squeeeeezes" the whole thing down at the bend in front of the tranny. So, in your shearch for headers, see if they also come with the "Y" pipe too. A really good exhaust shop should be able to fabricate a "Y" pipe if needed. Another thing to keep in mind is fittmant and clearance. A lot of headers advertise that they fit the Durango, and they do, but then there are clearance issues that need to be addressed. Some hit the floorboard, the steeing linkage, and so forth, so a little bending and crushing here and there may be needed. Finally I'll add the option of coating. If you find a set of headers you like, consider getting them ceramic coated. It really helps keep the heat down in the engine, and they won't turn colors.

Good luck!

Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mark,

Any advice on header brand name? I do not beleive the Mike Leach are available anymore (and probably couldn't afford them if they were:)). I have read about the Y-pipe, and will look at that also. Any particular design feature to look for? Finally, where would one go about looking for a ceramic coating purveyor? It would seem buying the headers coated would be the best route, from a laman perspective.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
484 Posts
toddbuckles said:
Mark,

Any advice on header brand name? I do not beleive the Mike Leach are available anymore (and probably couldn't afford them if they were:)). I have read about the Y-pipe, and will look at that also. Any particular design feature to look for? Finally, where would one go about looking for a ceramic coating purveyor? It would seem buying the headers coated would be the best route, from a laman perspective.

Thanks in advance,
Todd,

Try calling Mike Leach or Tom Fox at (714)639-5220 and see if they have any more sets. I know they made a whole bunch for the Durango Owners Club not to long ago.

Another good source of information is:http://www.dakota-durango.com/index.php.

They may be able to lead you to other distributors. Headers come in two flavors. The "shorties", replace the exhaust manifold. The "long tube" replace the pipes back further and some include the "Y" pipe too. I would stay away from the GS Motorsports products. While they work and provide good performance, they do have some fittmant issues, and also require a header power plate and special gaskets. Most folks have problems with installs. One of the most popular coating places is JetHot. Google them for the site. Finally, send the FastMan an e-mail. He has a lot of connections too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Todd - I went with the JBA headers (unfortunately w/o coating), custom Y, MagnaFlow Cat & Muffler, & 3" SS pipes throughout. I did the CAI & a Mopar PCM at the same time. There was a very noticible improvement. I'm very happy with the set up (especially with Phase TWO!)

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
Like Warren, I'm running JBA headers but with their JBA Y-pipe, I like the combo and it definitely hasn't hurt my power output :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.