DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on purchasing a 2006 limited rango (5.7L Hemi) 4x2 with 38K miles on it and was wondering if you experts can give me some pointers on what to look for when I go for test drive. Are there any specific issues or problems that I need to look for on this particular model. I searched the forums and did not find anything significant.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Recalls

I bought my used 2005 Durango 3 weeks ago from a small "mom & pop" car lot and before I bought it I checked with a Dodge dealer about any outstanding recalls. I called the service dept. and gave them the VIN and they checked it out instantly. I also was able to transfer the power-train warranty, but it cost me $150 at a Dodge dealership. There also is a limited amount of time that you have to transfer the warranty after you buy the truck.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I bought my used 2005 Durango 3 weeks ago from a small "mom & pop" car lot and before I bought it I checked with a Dodge dealer about any outstanding recalls. I called the service dept. and gave them the VIN and they checked it out instantly. I also was able to transfer the power-train warranty, but it cost me $150 at a Dodge dealership. There also is a limited amount of time that you have to transfer the warranty after you buy the truck.
Did the same thing with the warranty... it's worth it :tup:

·
RangoArkie
1,442 Posts
make sure it puts a smile on your face! :rck:
It's gotta a HEMI rangoneer - how can it not? ;) :D :drivingz:

Due to the mileage, I would check the brakes, and try to get them to replace the shocks (likely are done) and tires will need replacement soon. May as well let them pay for the big ticket items. Or get them to reduce the price and you can get Bilstein shocks and pick your own style of tires.

I've got about 45,000 miles on my D and she's still a dream to drive. :tup:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
*Check for wind noise from front doors
* x2 on the recall work verified
* Check front seat belt trim on the lower seat - that it is not broken or missing
* Operate the CD/radio (all functions)
* Ensure the climate system lights up/works
* Check rear axle seal (for leaks)
* Assume the shocks are bad at 50K miles
* Ensure tune up is performed - it is expensive!
*Check thermostat housing for small coolant leaks
*Ensure no 'clunking' when steering

(^By no means all my experience - but a summary of all known/verified gripes)

Would i buy one again? yeah. That HEMI is a monster, y'all!!

·
RangoArkie
1,442 Posts
Ensure tune up is performed - it is expensive!
Thanks BA :tup: - That's the other big ticket item I couldn't think of (brain cramp).
The labour for 16 Spark plugs cost $$$.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
When I bought my D used the latch thuingy to flatten out the very rear pass seat is broken, they took a quick look, but said they would have to take the seat apart and as such weren't going to fix it, after all it is used. The battery was weak and rather than them replace it they made a deal 2 headsets(it didn't have any) instead of a new battery which actually worked out better for me because I had a brand new redtop sitting at home.

The don't do a lot of of the small repairs on used vehicles.... mechanical they should..

Check the tire wear for abnormal pattern..
If you can look underneath for off roading damage, any sort of fluid leaks..

you now pretty much all the normal stuff you'd look for...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.