Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
OK, so I just did the TS lift today, and of course had to try it out. :)

Works great (also removed the hitch, PITA!), so I'm loving it. I'm out in Cali with my family, and my Uncle and Dad both have TRD Tacoma's. So we're just out rolling over the countryside here, and then something I've heard about only once on the History Channel (CAT's on hillsides and oil issues) and never seen before happened...

The oil pressure on the 1998 Durango 5.9 dropped to 0 on a very steep incline, while I was descending. It happened twice, and again, only while descending. On ascention, the truck was just fine. Actually, I'm very surprised at the capability of the truck, apparently as long as I'm not on a very steep decline.

Any idea how to fix this? The hills really didn't seem that steep to me, but I couldn't believe it. Is there a different oil pan I can get, or SOMETHING that will allow for more steep declines? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
I don't know where the pick up tube is but it sounds like the pick up is at the rear of the pan. Are you at the right level on fluids?

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
i would make sure your oil level is in the safe zone. i'm not sure about the 5.9 motor. but i do know that on the 4.7 there are two pans, one for 4x2's and one for 4x4's. the 4x2 is a very small and narrow hump that houses the pick up tube. i could see this easily loose prime due to escaping oil to the front of the oil pan.

if that is what the problem is, and you will continue to do this type of descent, you may want to look at a new pan with an oil trap.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your responses. I have checked and the oil levels are at the correct level. Everything seems to be fine, except the oil pressure. My uncle/dad both said that maybe there was a different oil pan.

Seems like the pan is really the culprit, but has anyone else ever seen this on the 5.9?

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me once while offroading and going down a VERY STEEP DUNE... oil pressure went to ZERO and I started hearing a ticking noise in the engine... the descent was more than 45 degrees,,, the oil goes down... no pressure...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Its normal... I checked with the dealer... the opposite happens when you go UP, the oil level will be FULL... The dealer said it was normal... he said I should not drive down such a steep incline :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that seems like a dumb answer. That doesn't really seem like such a good answer to me. And yes, it was definitely more than a 45 slope. :) Truck worked great though, never had any slipping or anything, and having all that torque down low is definitely nice... :)

OK, just got to figure out a way to fix that decline bug. I wonder what the limit is for the decline though, 45, 50, or 60 degrees?

Thanks,

Nathan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.