DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of a brake job , been working on it since noon. This 2 hour job is going way to long , finally cleaned up to get help !!!! When I went to replace my brake pads as usual I had to compress the calipers to get the pads to fit. I always loosen the bleeder to let the fluid escape. Now the pistons went in easily but the boot one on each side did not go in correct ?? It has a bubble (like air) in it. I try to push it ikn but it's like chasing a greased football. I stuffed the pads in making sure the boot did not get caught in between the caliper and the piston. It just don't look right and I don't trust it. I've tried everything I know I loosened theb leeder and tried to push it out.No luck. I had to take a break 'cause of frustration. Help help , help !!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sorry bro, can't help here. Hopefully some folks will be logging on soon to help you out, being after work and all.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
I never heard of anyone opening the bleeder to push the piston in, I always use c-clamp vise grips and it pushes right back in.

·
Armed QC
951 Posts
You should have just pressed in the pistons (with the old pad and a c-clamp). This will push the fluid back into the MC resavoir. The bubble in the boot is not a real problem, you can slowly try to push all of the way around ( I know- a chore) or, just reassemble with the bubble not pinched between the piston and pad-no problem. Doing it your way, be sure to bleed the brakes, and top off the MC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey----instead of doing what you did just take a 4 inch c-clamp and use it to push the piston in the caliper back---easiest way probably

·
Bill
73 Posts
The rubber boot on the piston keeps it clean and moisture out. Use a small screw driver and put it in between the boot and piston to let the air out. Then push the boot back in nice all the way around. Also you don't need to open the bleeder when you push the pistons back in. You may want to bleed your brakes now if you have a spongy pedal.

·
Registered
419 Posts
from what i understand opening the bleeders on the caliper reduces the possibility of damaging any of the seals in the mc. afterall these seals are designed to compress fluid in one direction......forcing fluid in the opposite direction past these seals can damage them........been there, done that , wont let it happen again....crack those bleeders when doing a brake change..........just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
563 Posts
If the boots got a bubble then there's probably something
in it that shouldn't be there... either air, water, dirt, or brake
fluid. Whatever it is, you should find out now while you're
working on them by prying them out of their seats.

What you do from there depends on what you see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.