DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help me. :help: I have a 2006 3500 4x4 6-speed with 156k miles and it will not start, doesnt matter cold or hot, setting for a minute or a day. If you start it on either it will start and run fine. The lift pump is putting fuel up to the Cp3 pump, I cracked the injection lines and they are spitting out fuel while cranking, there are no codes coming up, it does seem like maybe sometimes it possibly runs a little rough, I had a Predator and PowerPuck combo on it, but it doesnt make any diff with it removed. When it first started occuring, it slowly got worse, cranking longer each time untill finially it wont start. I tried replacing the actuator but no luck. I did stick a bolt with an orfice hole in it where the banjo fitting goes for the return line and it would start better than a new truck, but after about a month, it went bad again. Is it possible that the CP3 injection pump went bad internally, is this a gear pump, I think it is, and if so what does the actuator control to control output injection pressure, maybe whatever it controls is bad, and what does the CP3 overflow valve(cascade) do? I checked the rail overpressure valve-ok, no bleed by. IS the injection pump bad, possibly the injectors failing, or possibly a cam or crank sensor, or am I possibly sucking air somewhere? Please let me know of any info you may have, Im trying to sell this truck and buy a new one. And if anyone has an idea, how much is it worth, It has the Laramie package and it is a dually 4x4. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Post #4
i had this problem for three winters .. and summer's and yes i had to use a sniff of either';i don't have any power up grades all stock
the first time they replaced the lift pump ,,,wasnt the problem ''
second was actuator ,,wasn't the problem
third time theychanged the acutator ,wasn't the problem.and the fuel filter
fourth time they changed high pressure fuel line ,,wasn'y the problem,,then they changed the high pressure pump ,,wasn't the problem
as the problem got worse it wouldn't star till it got to a temp outside around 18'c
if i plug it in it would start right now
the last time i took it in ,,they change the fuel pressure regulating valve ,,and bingo they got it
the thing was every time i took it in, and they done the work ,it would start fine for a month or two...they were good to me ,,all the work was warrenty,,,
2003 dodge ram 2500 diesel.. hope this will help some one
bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dodge no start reply

thanks for the advice, I do have a question, what exactly are you referring to as the pressure regualating device, and if possible, can you provide me with a part number and where it is located on the engine? The other possibility it could be is the injectors bypassing and leaking off the fuel rail pressure. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
no start

what finally fixed the problem with the truck, i have the same truck but two wheeldrive with the same problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
06 no start

I finally found some manual tests online through a couple of online diesel stores. I think one is on thedieselstore Look for installation tips and try to find the specs on return flow from the head. My injectors had got bad fuel with sediment in it, plus the high horse chip made the injectors bleed straight through to return, you can individually block off the injectors and measure the rates individually, and sometimes you can find some injectors bad and some ok, but a dealer told me that when this problem occurs almost always all the injectors need replaced, and I replaced all of them and the truck ran great and started. Injector installation is simple and it is cheapest to buy them off of thedieselstore or midwest fuel injection

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Thanks for the update TT, I know absolutely nothing about the 3rd Gen. Dodges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.