DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kinda new here so I dont know if i posted this in the right spot, sorry if i didnt. I bought a MSD 5 ignition box and was gonna put it on my truck, by the way I drive a 95 dakota with the 318. Anyways, I called MSD's tech-line and asked how to hook it up. They told me and i hooked it up exactly how they said, and when i started my truck it was surging, the rpm's were going up and down,. Then, I go to drive it down the road and open up the throttle and it acts like its not getting any gas. So I let out of the throttle and it backfires. My buddy was behind me and he said I was shooting flames out the tail pipe. When i got back to the shop I called msd again and they said to hook it up the same way . Does anyone know how to hook up this ignition box? Right now Im willing to sell it if I cant figure it out. You would think MSD would hire people that know what the hell tey are talking about.

·
Registered
301 Posts
95 has a locked distributor . What did you set the timing at .The factory setting is only about 5' .

·
Banned
95 Posts
Can I ask if your running anything else? 12.98 with just a CIA and exhaust isn't very believable.

I'm guessing you're running a s/c, if so do you have any fuel controllers or any other timing boxes?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
naw im not really running a 12.98 my friend set me uo on dodge talk and thought my truck would run that fast. to be honest i dont know what i run in the 1/4. im running the factory coil and 93 octane. and i didnt touch the distributor. is my motor the type were i can turn my distributor to advance/retard the timing?

·
Registered
257 Posts
PM me your email. I can send you a PDF of the install instructions.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes you can and will have to adjust the distibutor if you are not using the OEM computer to add timing. The computer expects the base timing to be like 5 and then looks up what the timing needed is in the timing map .If it needs 15 ,it adds 10 thinking you already have 5. You need a distributor that can advance the timing

·
Registered
301 Posts
My mistake .This would only happen if you used the distributor to trigger the MSD. If you use the OEM computor to trigger ,it should advance properly.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Everyone stop...

YOU CAN NOT ADJUST IGNITION TIMING FROM THE DISTRIBUTOR IN 92 + MAGNUM MOTORS (unless you're running an after market set-up.)

Well you can try, but the computer will compensate for the change. You do risk throwing off your fuel synch. though. Then you'll need a dealer to reset.

If you want to adjust timing, you have these choices...

Ignition advance/retard -
CPS mod (closer to oil filter = retard, further = advance)
IAT relocation (colder air = advance)
MP PCM (Increases timing)
TPS @ proper voltage (advance/retard depending on what it was before)

Mechanical Advance/Retard -
Changing the cam's relative position to the crank

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sam Cler said:
Everyone stop...

YOU CAN NOT ADJUST IGNITION TIMING FROM THE DISTRIBUTOR IN 92 + MAGNUM MOTORS (unless you're running an after market set-up.)

Well you can try, but the computer will compensate for the change. You do risk throwing off your fuel synch. though. Then you'll need a dealer to reset.

If you want to adjust timing, you have these choices...

Ignition advance/retard -
CPS mod (closer to oil filter = retard, further = advance)
IAT relocation (colder air = advance)
MP PCM (Increases timing)
TPS @ proper voltage (advance/retard depending on what it was before)

Mechanical Advance/Retard -
Changing the cam's relative position to the crank
I have mopar performance pcm does that matter?
I have been watching these on ebay thinking christmas.
I was told it was plug and play.
And IAT mod.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.