DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I noticed my tranny is leaking really bad. I was wondering if this is going to be a major repair and costly? I got a picture. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
looks like front pump seal. easy to replace, the hard part is getting to it. almost have to remove tranny

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
x2 on the front pump seal and based on miles it might be a good idea to have it gone thru since it basicly has to come out anyway

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
but then with that many miles, swap it out with a performance tranny. lol

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I would but im only 23 and im broke not much $$$, I plan on buying a 2003 next year. Is the pump seal something that goes out alot? What would cause it just age? How much is a seal? Its only got 182km or 120miles on it is that alot?

1 more question is a 5.2l 2wd tranny the same as a 5.9l 2wd tranny?

Atleast the fluid looks clean. :thatfunny: :mad:

Thanks!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys.

I was wondering how much it might cost me to have a shop drop the trans and replace the seal?

Thanks!

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
It is probably not the seal,but the pump bushing behind it. (The part with the "dimples" in the pic.) If you are lucky,it did not spin in the housing and ruin the pump body. Converter hub might be bad too.

R&R the trans and rebuild the front pump= $400,converter hub bad, + $160

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah your starting to scare me tactransman. The shop 2 blocks away said it will cost $500 to remove the trans and then parts. He seems to think it might be the bushing, pump seal or converter. I only got a $1000, I hope im lucky. Is there anyway to get a better idea with the trans still on? It's not leaking when shut off, it pours out when running.

Thanks for all the help and info guys!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
mine does the same... exept its a small drip when driving or when parked....

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Ah your starting to scare me tactransman. The shop 2 blocks away said it will cost $500 to remove the trans and then parts. He seems to think it might be the bushing, pump seal or converter. I only got a $1000, I hope im lucky. Is there anyway to get a better idea with the trans still on? It's not leaking when shut off, it pours out when running.

Thanks for all the help and info guys!
No way to tell for sure till you get it apart. They are charging $500 just to take the trans out?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think its for taking it out and putting it back in, is that alot? Watch out meangreen mine did that for a few days them all of a sudden its a fire hydrent.

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
Kind of like cracking an egg to see what is on the inside, once you do that you are pretty much there to fix it....

Tactrans, he asked about the swap option, 5.2 vs 5.9 tranny?

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well im getting a complete rebuild. My torque converter and pump were trashed. Rebuild is only gonna cost $1400 though pretty good deal, I get a 1 year warranty on it. :)

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
not a bad deal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.