DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering would a m1 intake give me hp gains. another question is i have a 5.2 with 60,000 miles on it and a 5.9 with over 150,000 i was wondering is there that much difference between the two should i built the 5.2 i have or rebuild the 360 and put in in place of the 5.2 this will be a daily driver i was wondering what would be the best route if i should put performance mods on my 318 or rebuild my 360 and do the performance mods is there much difference between the mpg's or power my plans are to put a little bigger cam maybe heads eventually and throttle body with headers and a power programmer i already have a free flowing exhaust and a k&n filter

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
I've heard that the M1 is hard on the low end torque but makes good power once the rpms are up.

Forget about a programmer, if you are installing a cam & heads you will need a PCM flash to get full utilization from said upgrades.
These 'programmers' are for near stock vehicles and are good for recalibrating speedos, that's about it.

The 360 will put out more torque, hp is about the same.
There is no replacement for displacement, but the 318 can be built to run.
And most of the bolt-ons for the 318 will swap over to the 360, so if you decide to switch later you can reuse some of the upgrades (t-body, headers, intake, etc).

If you have all the items needed for the swap (PCM, flywheel, etc) then I'd build the engine that's out and swap it in once completed.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i was going to put the cam in the 360 as i rebuilt it do you think a rebuilt motor will last ive had people tell me that rebuilds dont last heads are expensive and i dont have alot of money i have a complete 360 truck (totalled) but i will need a new pcm for my year model truck wich is the 318 but i have to keep in mind that this will be a daily driver should i rebuild my 360 put an slightly bigger cam but not so much it will kill my mpg's and heads but if i get heads i most likely wont get a intake because there 500 somthing dollers and maybe down the road get a new throttle body oh and a set of headers to add will a throttle body help or hurt my millage

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
first off, try and break up your sentences a little, makes it hard to understand exactly what you are saying.

I don't know who told you a rebuilt engine won't last but that has not been my experience. The last engine that was rebuilt lasted 120,000 miles before the #8 rod bearing went out. It was an old LA block 360, we had a comp cams high energy RV cam, a holley 750 4 bbl with vac secondaries, and a set of headers. Everything else, with the exception of hardened valve seats in the stock heads, was stock.

I don't understand why you can't use the PCM from the totaled truck, but you may be able to get the PCM from the 318 flashed to handle the 360 (since you'll have to get it flashed if you install heads or cam).

You can mod the kegger intake and get some decent gains, if you want a daily driver either get a high stall converter or a mild cam. If you go too agressive with the cam you'll have idle problems with a stock converter (been down that road).

If you're trying to get some more speed on the cheap, go back with stock rotating assembly and get a mild cam & get the basic PCM flash. You can upgrade the heads, intake, t-body later on.

· Mike
276 Posts
360 you need to delete some of you pm's. I tried to write you back but your in box is full.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was told that were my 97 360 and my 98 318 are different years that i cant use the pcm out of the 97 in the 98. mctr7 i cleaned my inbox out so feal free to send me more messages. could i have the 97 360's pcm reflashed or the 98's reflashed to handle the new motor. were can i have this done how much will it cost. will the flash give me any power or just allow the motoe to run as it should

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what type of things could i do to my stock intake to get more power

· Registered
632 Posts
You can take the bottom pan off and cut the runners off about a half an inch or so. This will give you gains in your top end, while not hurting your low end. Do a search for "kegger mod", and you will find lots of posts on that.

Good luck.

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
360sst said:
i was told that were my 97 360 and my 98 318 are different years that i cant use the pcm out of the 97 in the 98. mctr7 i cleaned my inbox out so feal free to send me more messages. could i have the 97 360's pcm reflashed or the 98's reflashed to handle the new motor. were can i have this done how much will it cost. will the flash give me any power or just allow the motoe to run as it should
I didn't know that the 2 vehicles in question were different years, not sure if that makes a difference either.
Are the trucks using the same tranny just different motors? If so, why not swap the PCM for the 360 into the truck you plan on installing it in?

A PCM flash, even the basic one, will free up power by removing torque management and remapping fuel & spark curves. This is usually done in conjuction (or after) adding a TB, headers, etc.
The basic flash is $350 and the custom flash is $450. I can't speak for the basic one but the custom flash I had done freed up a lot, specially off the line. Talk to Dave at B&G http://www.bgchrysler.com/

360sst said:
what type of things could i do to my stock intake to get more power
you can cut down the runners to get more power from it, different runner lengths provide gains in different rpm ranges. Search for modified kegger intake
see pic (courtesy of another member):

Attachments

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
greg_glider : sorry about that, you must have replied while I was typing. :D

· Registered
632 Posts
chizzle1 said:
greg_glider : sorry about that, you must have replied while I was typing. :D
No worries man, we both posted within seconds of each other, and never new till after. At least a couple of us have suggestions to this subject!

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i was told i cant put he 97 360 pcm in the 98 318 truck i was told i would need to get a 360 pcm for the year model of truck i was putting my 360 in

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
who told you this?
If both trucks have the same tranny (46RE) then it shouldn't matter about if it's a 97 or 98. They are both OBD II so you should be able to install the 360 into whichever truck chasis and install the PCM (for the 360) in that vechile and it work.
You basically take the engine & PCM and transplant it into the other truck. Wiring harnesses should be identical.

The only problem I could forsee is a VIN conflict but how would the PCM know what vehicle it is in?

· Registered
632 Posts
chizzle1 said:
who told you this?
If both trucks have the same tranny (46RE) then it shouldn't matter about if it's a 97 or 98. They are both OBD II so you should be able to install the 360 into whichever truck chasis and install the PCM (for the 360) in that vechile and it work.
You basically take the engine & PCM and transplant it into the other truck. Wiring harnesses should be identical.

The only problem I could forsee is a VIN conflict but how would the PCM know what vehicle it is in?
Sorry to bud into this post, but 360sst, I would double check that if it is possible. I do know there area a few differences between the PCMs from 97 and 98. I heard the 98-01 PCMs are similar or the same in that they have a few updates, while the 97 is more basic in its setup. I compared the pin designation between a 97 and an 01 pcm and there were a few differences. I don't know what the difference between the 97 vs the 98 tho. to do that, you would need a service manual for both to campare the pin designation of each. Your best bet is using the wiring harness with each PCM, and connect the wiring harness to each sensor.

Hope that helps in any ways.

Good luck tho!

Greg

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well wouldnt it be easier to buy a 98 360 pcm out of a junk truck and use it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.