DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Free Candy!
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it's any help those 3 that are on the very bottom of the last pic, the big red stripe,yellow?stripe and blue stripe are disconnected.Theres also one coming out of the vaccum amplifier thats running to nothing.I have found another one that goes towards the front drivers side of the van and goes back to somewhere around or behind the carburetor.I tried to make sense of Haynes Chapter 6 but honestly I don't see these hoses in the diagram and I cannot make sense of where they could go.

Also..You see that damn cable right there? The one with the little eyelet, What is that and where does it go/hook up to?

·
Gone but not forgotten
1,288 Posts
Also..You see that damn cable right there? The one with the little eyelet, What is that and where does it go/hook up to?
That cable goes to the transmission. By that cable laying there I believe that your carb was changed out with a different unit. And that may be why you are having a hard time hooking up the vacuum lines. On most Dodge vans the throttle cable and transmission down shift/modulator cable hook to the same side of the carburetor, the passenger side that is. In your photo I don't see where to hook it back to the throttle plate. If you have room you might try to move it and the bracket to the other side but I really doubt that it can be done. You may need to find the correct carb for you van.

·
Free Candy!
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That cable goes to the transmission. By that cable laying there I believe that your carb was changed out with a different unit. And that may be why you are having a hard time hooking up the vacuum lines. On most Dodge vans the throttle cable and transmission down shift/modulator cable hook to the same side of the carburetor, the passenger side that is. In your photo I don't see where to hook it back to the throttle plate. If you have room you might try to move it and the bracket to the other side but I really doubt that it can be done. You may need to find the correct carb for you van.
Is this the so called kickdown cable that my buddy the "mechanic" has said it was? IS this why when the few times I've had to floor this van it's said HAHAHAHA no effin way and sat there slowly and steadly increased speed?
I thought these 360 5.9's came with a 2 barrel is it possible at some point someone either changed the carb, or changed to a 4 bbl quadrajet and back to this one now? I'm highly confused by all the tinkering the previous owners have done with this thing

·
Gone but not forgotten
1,288 Posts
Yes that is the transmission Kickdown cable. It may be that someone also turned around this carb for according to my Haynes manual the carb is mounted backwards. But if the throttle plate won't pull correctly with it turned around then it may still be the wrong model carb.

According to my Haynes manual your engine should have one of the following carbs:
Holly Model 2245, or 2210 2 barrel carb, or
Carter Thermo-quad.

If not one of these then for sure the carb is wrong. If it is one of them then it needs to be turned around.

·
Free Candy!
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that is the transmission Kickdown cable. It may be that someone also turned around this carb for according to my Haynes manual the carb is mounted backwards. But if the throttle plate won't pull correctly with it turned around then it may still be the wrong model carb.

According to my Haynes manual your engine should have one of the following carbs:
Holly Model 2245, or 2210 2 barrel carb, or
Carter Thermo-quad.

If not one of these then for sure the carb is wrong. If it is one of them then it needs to be turned around.
Is there anywhere on the carb where I can locate a model or part number to verify this?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It's a Holley 2210 and it's not on backwards. The cable just needs to be hooked up on the other side.

Note: on p.4A-16 of the Haynes, the pics for the 2210 and 2245 are reversed. The 2245 has a bowl vent; the 2210 does not. I found this out when I ordered a rebuilt 2245 for my '77 B300 by mistake, going by the Haynes pics. The parts guy was right and the non-vented bowl version was what I had. The Haynes manuals DO have mistakes...so a factory manual is needed for good info.

(Check the Haynes manual a little closer. The carb section includes info on where to find the model number of your carb) ;)

For the vac lines: Look at the pic at bottom left of p.4A-16 (it's marked 2245 but it's a 2210)...two of the vac lines will connect to the small vac connections at the rear of the carb. Also look at the bottom diagram on p.6-7.

·
Free Candy!
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a Holley 2210 and it's not on backwards. The cable just needs to be hooked up on the other side.
I know this is probably a dumb and obvious question but how do I go about connecting this thing and where on earth does this thing bolt? on?

·
Gone but not forgotten
1,288 Posts
It goes on the same connection point the throttle cable hooks on.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
For the vac lines: Look at the pic at bottom left of p.4A-16 (it's marked 2245 but it's a 2210)...two of the vac lines will connect to the small vac connections at the rear of the carb. Also look at the bottom diagram on p.6-7.
I can't tell for sure from your pics but the metal vacuum line connectors may be missing from your carb. These would be about 1/8" or so in dia. and stick out from the carb (p.4A-16, lower left). One should stick out from the base of the carb, just to the left of the large dia. hose that goes to the PCV. You should be sucking large amounts of air into those holes, unless someone has plugged them.

(EDIT: OR...someone has put on a different carb. There were many,many variations with different vacuum connections. Car carbs would be similar but have some differences.) Here's a link that could help:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showwiki.php?title=Holley+2210+Carburetor+Rebuild+Part+1

Also, this pic shows what the vacuum connections look like. Notice there is also one on the side. The top arrow points to where there *should* be a connection for a line that goes to the EGR amplifier:

[URL=http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/toyautoman/?action=view&current=df3.jpg][/URL]

**Not sure why the cable is where it's at...someone may have had things apart and didn't put it back in the right place. It needs to be routed correctly. Like landyacht says, if you could find someone with a similar van, to compare yours to, that would really help.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
On the first picture of the air cleaner housing the out of focus part is the OSAC valve and one end should go to the carb, the other to the distributor vaccum advance.
The cable in the second picture is likely cruise control as cable kickdowns didn't happen until at least TBI or definately MPFI (Magnum) engines.
The EGR amplifier has a small hose for venturi vacumm and several others, one to manifold vacumm, one to the EGR or solenoid and possibly a fourth to a vaccum reservoir that mounts with it. I will have to look in the morning for color code.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
The diagram I have for the EGR is an emission sticker for a 77-78 4bbl.
It shows the yellow stripe to venturi, orange stripe to The EGR solenoid (electrical), which leads to manifold vacumm and the hose without a stripe to the EGR valve.
The bottom of the OSAC goes to the carb and the top to ported vacumm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.