DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
-Nick-
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a dilema here and i can not choose what i want to buy.... i have $150 or so that i can spend and i am trying to choose what i should get with that money...

Either an electric cutout probably the raceland one for $140

Manual cutout and transmission tuning for my superchips around $40 after shipping for the cutout and $40 for the tuning plus having the shop weld it on for me..... cause im lazy and dont want to weld it myself

or get a magnaflow Y pipe to replace the stock crappy one that is killing my performance.... not sure how much a shop would charge to get that done...

Or something else that you guys may have ideas for....

I tried to do a poll but couldn't get it to work for some odd reason

·
Redtruck-VA
2,758 Posts
Y pipe would be my choice.

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts
I'm biased, but I'd get the trans tuning for sure, and probably the Y-pipe if you have enough coin left.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
All 3 of those are good mods, eventually get em all. The cutout will make it sound good, the trans update helped mine some & I had a ypipe on my last truck & plan to get one eventually for this truck.

·
Ram 4.7L Yellow Jacket
595 Posts
Y-pipe for sure

·
-Nick-
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i went to 3 different muffler shops today and they each told me different things. The first place told me they would charge me $150 to do it and i said ok and went to another shop.... the next shop told me it could not be done and i said yes it can i have seen it done before then they told me they cant help me then, so i left and went to another place and asked them how much they would charge and the guy told me $1500!!! haha i was like um no i believe it should cost around $150, then he said "this truck only puts out what... like 275 hp?" i said no actually 345... then he said "well honestly, i would just save all of that money unless you are putting it on a diesel cause it wont help you at all on a gasser" i was like i understand that and then gave up trying to explain to him what i wanted done to my truck and left.....

I honestly did not think it was something that difficult to be done or understood by mechanics, but i guess i was wrong....

but the first place actually knew what they were talking about it seemed like and is $150 a reasonable price to get this done? or what have other shops charged you guys to install the magnaflow Y pipe?

·
-Nick-
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats what i was thinking too, sounds like i will have to widen my search to different areas and see what they are charging

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts
That does seem a little high. I paid $75 for my install.

You have to remember, a lot of "mechanics" at these exhuast shops are old school, and really don't understand the principles of thermal velocity and delta T. Most of them think you need "some backpressure" to make horsepower. You don't want any backpressure in exhaust systems; hence the addition of the aftermarket Y.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
trans tuning is $40?
Y pipe is under $30 shipped.(ebay)
That leaves $80 to get it installed which is probably twice what it should cost.

thats two damn good mods for very little cash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.