DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced Heads with ones I bought off ebay, gaskets, water pump, timing belt and idler, I put everything back together and it ran great!. My compression went from 105, 165, 160, 165, 170, 180 to 175 to 180 on all cyl. I know I fixed the problem. Engine ran great purred like a kitten but the rear cyl head has a steady stream comming from under the alt brackett. I removed everything from the front even the timing cover and ran the engine. I cant see where the leak is comming from. It looks like it may be the cam seal as I cant see it behind the gear when its running. The valve cover I removed and sealed well with Hi-temp sealant. any thoughts on what would cause the leak? how to find. I took 500 pictures taking apart and putting back together. SO I could remember where everything went.

Thanks
Anthony Bridges

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
It's certainly possible that it's a cam seal, but you'd still see oil coming down from that area if it's leaking that bad.

Another possibility is the heads you bought off of Ebay are slightly warped and even with the proper torque, the gasket wasn't able to seal the oil passages properly allowing oil to run out of the joint between the head and engine block.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I dont think its the heads as I can see the gap between the block and head and oil is not comming from there. It has to be comming from the cam seal but I replaced it twice. I just dont know. What I need is a die or some way to shoot oil trough the block so I can see. Hard to fix a leak when you don't know exactly where its comming from. Was hoping someone else had this same problem.
I have another mechanic coming by tonight to look at and give me his opinion.
Thanks again
Anthony
Anthony

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did a head job on my 3.0 and had a leak at the front, Dist. end. Found out it's a good ideal to use sealent at the cornors of the cam and lower areas above the spark plugs. Did this and oil has stoped leaking.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok Im an idiot. It was the cam seal. After careful examination I noticed , the book said nothing about it, The ID where the cam seal is located has larger id towards the back and smaller towards the front. If you push the seal in too far it doesn't seal. Put another seal in last night and away we go! Hope this helps someone else.
Anthony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.