DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Not all breathers are the same size. When i did mine, i oiled the filter before i tested it, and it didnt fit, but luckily i had one sitting around that did fit, can i get a diff. size rubber gromet at the parts store? Its too big for the grommet, but too small when the grommet is out.

360_4x4 said:
Not all breathers are the same size. When i did mine, i oiled the filter before i tested it, and it didnt fit, but luckily i had one sitting around that did fit, can i get a diff. size rubber gromet at the parts store? Its too big for the grommet, but too small when the grommet is out.
try trimming the gromet.
If not, the local autozone may have a universal gromet set in the body panel / "Help" section.

sorry to hi jack the thread, but chizzle, i see you have the same year as me. did you switch the sides that your breather and pcv are in ? i could swear my pcv was on the driver side, and breather was on pass. side.but i could be wrong, i havent seen my engine assembled in over a year. would it make a difference that mine's a 5.9? does it even matter which side there on?

bigkuntry72 said:
sorry to hi jack the thread, but chizzle, i see you have the same year as me. did you switch the sides that your breather and pcv are in ? i could swear my pcv was on the driver side, and breather was on pass. side.but i could be wrong, i havent seen my engine assembled in over a year. would it make a difference that mine's a 5.9? does it even matter which side there on?
it shoudn't matter which side they are on, hell you can stick breathers on both rocker arm covers, but you won't pass a visual inspection (if the inspectors know what they are looking for).

I have seen other trucks the same year with the same motor and they would be setup the opposite of mine.
The 5.2 and 5.9 share a LOT of sensors, fuel, exhaust, & accessories, so motor size should not dictate the location of smog equipment.

Their is no benefit, other than the cosmetic "that looks cool" factor to replacing the PCV setup with a breather.

it wont affect performance/ reliability of engine in anyway to put a open breather on both sides? i dont have to worry about inspections, theyre is no emmisions testing in the north woods of wisconsin. so everyone who wants to build theyre car/truck justs register it in a nothern county.

no effect on reliabilit or performance, in fact the breather will reduce the oil film buildup on the inside of the manifold by eliminating the source (the PCV & tube going to the intake).

My stock 5.2 has pcv valve on left (passenger) and breather on right (driver). I think that is how it came from the factory just fyi.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
damn you guys are awesome... thanks a lot i am getting one this weekend i really want a mopar one but that'll have to wait for a little more money.. and a quick question... how does the JET chips work? and will it work with super chips?

70Dart440 said:
damn you guys are awesome... thanks a lot i am getting one this weekend i really want a mopar one but that'll have to wait for a little more money.. and a quick question... how does the JET chips work? and will it work with super chips?
I don't think you can use them together.
I'm not a big fan of piggy back programmers, a PCM flash will net you more gains all day long for about the same price.
Several people have tried using the Hypertech PP III and had a lot of problems with spark knock and generally running shitty.

The one benefit of a programmer is you can fiddle with things like tire size changes.

are you sure jet even makes a chip for our trucks, when i first started looking into building the 408( and before i found this site and you helpful folks) i called summit about a chip, they gave me jet's # to get a custom burned chip and they told me they dont offer one for rams.

why would you eliminate the pcv valve? they don't hinder performance. they help to keep oil vapor(blow-by)from messing up our engine compartments. if you remove it oil vapor will come out of those breathers.

also, i don't believe in cold air intakes or open element air filters, all i've read or seen on the net about them shows they actually take horsepower away. a good k&n drop in would be best.

don't remove the pcv valve. they don't hinder performance, removing it will just make a mess out of your engine compartment caused by oil vapor or blow-by that will spew out of those breathers.

i think you should just buy a drop in k&n filter, and dual exhaust, these alone will make an improvement. also slide under the truck and pound on the catalytic converter if a rattling can be heard gut it out or replace it, this is a very common problem on these trucks, if it rattles it's only a matter of time before it gets constipated, but be sure to use a muffler if you go with dual exhaust cause it's gonna be loud even with a muffler.

The PCV on a 5.9 is on the drivers side which is opposite of the 5.2

ultraking said:
why would you eliminate the pcv valve? they don't hinder performance. they help to keep oil vapor(blow-by)from messing up our engine compartments. if you remove it oil vapor will come out of those breathers.

also, i don't believe in cold air intakes or open element air filters, all i've read or seen on the net about them shows they actually take horsepower away. a good k&n drop in would be best.
:gr_bs:
regardless of what you 'believe in' or not, I want to see the evidence you have to substantiate your claims.

I have documented information that proves the exact opposite of what you just stated about CAIs, open element air cleaners, and drop in panel filters.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.