DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short......yeah right! I'm on the verge of going to the dealership tomorrow and picking up a new 08 2500 Mega 6.7. Reasons........price and more room. I currently have an '01 2500 Quad cab.
It will do most of it's driving in the city, but it will also be pulling our 33 ft. 5th wheel from time to time. I'd like a new one since the deal is great and with our two kids the extra space is a MAJOR plus.
As I've been doing research here on this site.......now I'm thinking of not going back to the dealership tomorrow!!!
I'm gonna be camped out here on this forum all day and night doing as much research as possible.
I'm not up to speed with all the tech talk just yet. Please bear with me.

It seems like the only big gripe about the 6.7's is the emissions. I've figured out that CAT is the catalytic mod. I'm still trying to figure out what DPF mod is and what it means.
I'm perfectly fine with keeping the truck bone stock. Salesman did warn me about the cat filter and what happens if it clogs up and shuts everything down. I also spoke to a guy that was there and had a truck just like the one I'm looking at buying. He said he loved it, but did bring up the emissions issue. He basically said he takes it out on the highway and just opens her up to clear out the cat. He also said he uses the exhaust brake to help clear it out. Don't know how he does this.
The feedback I get from this thread will pretty much decide if I get this truck or try to find a 5.9 or simply not get one at all.

If you guys can help me expedite my research in any way, I'd be very appreciative.

1. What is this DPF bypass/delete I'm seeing all over this forum?(what does DPF stand for)
2. What is the CAT delete as well?
If you guys know of a good thread to direct me to that expains this that will work just as good.
3. If I just leave it stock and don't mess with the emissions, how much freaking trouble will it give me?
4. What if codes/warning lights start popping up on the truck? Will the dealership charge me for checking them and clearing them or will those be covered under warranty? I'm certain I will learn more about codes, tuners, and doing this on my own etc from this board, but my learning curve at the moment is from now until tomorrow.
ANY info will be aprreciated. Any other info or tips not related to above questions will be appreciated as well. THANKS A TON IN ADVANCE!! You all ROCK!

Robert

I'm searching Dodge forums for answers to any of these questions as I may pull the trigger on this truck tomorrow.

·
Clinically Certified
735 Posts
DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter I know that the DPF under certain conditions will regenerate on it's own. It uses the exhaust brake in conjunction with fuel trims and post injection. But it is very passive and normally you won't even notice it happening. Biggest issue I know of is the short stop and go driving where the exhaust temps don't get up to operating temp. So IMHO if you don't drive where you must stop all the time and never let the engine fully warm up...I would say don't worry...make your best deal and go with it on the new ride.

I don't know anything about a DPF delete...didn't know it was even possible.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The 08's are not 4th Gen trucks. The DPF delete gets ride of the DPF and NOX canister. There are two dinds of deletes. The other one gets rid of the DPF, NOX and Cat in the downpipe.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You will enjoy your new truck

Long story short......yeah right! I'm on the verge of going to the dealership tomorrow and picking up a new 08 2500 Mega 6.7. Reasons........price and more room. I currently have an '01 2500 Quad cab.
It will do most of it's driving in the city, but it will also be pulling our 33 ft. 5th wheel from time to time. I'd like a new one since the deal is great and with our two kids the extra space is a MAJOR plus.
As I've been doing research here on this site.......now I'm thinking of not going back to the dealership tomorrow!!!
I'm gonna be camped out here on this forum all day and night doing as much research as possible.
I'm not up to speed with all the tech talk just yet. Please bear with me.

It seems like the only big gripe about the 6.7's is the emissions. I've figured out that CAT is the catalytic mod. I'm still trying to figure out what DPF mod is and what it means.
I'm perfectly fine with keeping the truck bone stock. Salesman did warn me about the cat filter and what happens if it clogs up and shuts everything down. I also spoke to a guy that was there and had a truck just like the one I'm looking at buying. He said he loved it, but did bring up the emissions issue. He basically said he takes it out on the highway and just opens her up to clear out the cat. He also said he uses the exhaust brake to help clear it out. Don't know how he does this.
The feedback I get from this thread will pretty much decide if I get this truck or try to find a 5.9 or simply not get one at all.

If you guys can help me expedite my research in any way, I'd be very appreciative.

1. What is this DPF bypass/delete I'm seeing all over this forum?(what does DPF stand for)
2. What is the CAT delete as well?
If you guys know of a good thread to direct me to that expains this that will work just as good.
3. If I just leave it stock and don't mess with the emissions, how much freaking trouble will it give me?
4. What if codes/warning lights start popping up on the truck? Will the dealership charge me for checking them and clearing them or will those be covered under warranty? I'm certain I will learn more about codes, tuners, and doing this on my own etc from this board, but my learning curve at the moment is from now until tomorrow.
ANY info will be aprreciated. Any other info or tips not related to above questions will be appreciated as well. THANKS A TON IN ADVANCE!! You all ROCK!

Robert

I'm searching Dodge forums for answers to any of these questions as I may pull the trigger on this truck tomorrow.
Hi Robert

OuttaCtrlHemi, explained it very well in his post #2 (he is vary knowledgeable on the topic)

I hope by now its home in your drive way.

The best thing to do is leave it Stock. If you have any troubles the 100k mile warranty will take care of it.

The Cummins web site has information on aftertreatment and how it works,

You will love the truck’s acceleration thanks to the new 6 speed automatic transmission and the Exhaust brake which makes going down hill much safer.

I would not recommend deleting any part of the aftertreatment; it is not worth the chance of losing your warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts