DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going home yesterday my 3.9L started sputtering, then backfired twice, and conked out. I coasted to the shoulder of the road and tried to start back up but it wouldn't start. I checked all my wiring under the hood, it was all good and tight, but could smell a strong odor of gasoline. After letting it sit for a few minutes, it started right up, and got me home with no more problems. Today it's running as if nothing ever happened.
Can anybody tell me what went wrong here? Does something possibly need adjustment at the TBI? By the way, my engine light never came on through the whole thing. Would appreciate any ideas/input on what this could all be about.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My truck did that when my EGR valve started going out. It would stick shut and cause the truck to die at highway speeds, Restart and go for like 2 weeks without it happening again.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it happened again this week! At 4:30 this morning, going home from work, I was going down the interstate at 70 and my Ram started sputtering right at my exit and died. All it would do was crank, and the smell of gas was strong when I opened the hood. After letting it sit for a few minutes, it canked right up, and ran just fine all the way home. WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?! Any ideas/advice would be great. Why the strong gas smell? Are there choke issues here? Flooding out? This can't keep going on, gotta get to the reason for this!

·
Registered
503 Posts
My guess is the strong fuel odor is a byproduct of the stalling rather than the cause of it. When you stall the engine dumps unburnt fuel in to the cat giving you the gas smell. I would check out the EGR valve and the ingnition coil.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoa! You might have me going where I need to be Dodge 318. Over a week ago I cleaned my engine. I'm using a MSD blaster coil, and had to wire it in without the stock plug-in used for the factory coil. I used aftermarket wire connectors to the connction points to the MSD. It could darn well be some corrosion at the connections from cleaning around the engine. Sure is something to check on. Maybe I shouldn't be cleaning under the hood but I hate a dirty engine. If that is the problem, I need to be more careful. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.