DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98' Durango SLT, loaded with Air Conditioning. The Air Conditioning was recharged last summer, but isn't working again.

I am trying to solve what can best be described as a "hissing sound" inside the interior of the truck. It sounds like it is comming from the air vents, but changing the heater / ac settings, or turning the heater / ac off doesn't make any difference. The hissing sound is directly related to the gas pedal. The noise occurs when you step on the pedal and when you take your foot off of the pedal, but it is not related to engine RPM. For example, one of the most prominent times that it happens is cruising down the highway at around 2000 rpm. If you slightly step on the gas to go up a slight incline and then let off just slightly to slow down, it makes the sound. It also happens driving around the city, especially in stop and go traffic every time you step on and release the gas.

I am guessing that the problem is somehow associated with a leak in the AC system, but I don't know what to do to solve it. Any help, ideas or feedback will be very much appreciated!!

Thanks

g

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
Sounds like a possible vacum leak. That would also explain the no a/c problem. Check around the back of your heater/ac controls. I bet you will find a connector has come loose or a broken vacum line. The control head itself could be bad but lets hope it's just a line or connector. Trace any lines running from the connector through the firewall as well as to any vacumm motors on the heater box.
Make sure you check under the hood before diving in too deep under the dash. When driving a leaking line near the firewall can sound like it's inside the cab.
Good luck these are usually easily fixable but sometimes a PITA to locate.

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
I agree - sounds like a vacuum leak. Worth looking into at least.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Man I Had That Same Problem. Take That Long Piece Of Plastic Of Above The Hood Below The Windshield. You Need To Remove The Wipers. Inside There Are The Wiper Control Arms, Wash Hoses And A Vacume Line On The Passanger Side. That May Have Came Loose. Mine Did And Is Made An Annoying Hissing Sound That Sounded Like It Was Coming From Inside The Truck. When Fixed Sound Was Gone.

Good Luck,
Billy

·
Gromit
278 Posts
Mine makes that loud hissing sound from the passenger corner firewall interior...but only when the AC is on and right after i turn the engine off..for the next 1minute or so. Would this be the same problem..or a glimpse of a future problem i should look into? Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.