DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next project will be to replace shocks and level my truck. Whats the consensus on the best aftermarket shocks for the RAM? I want to level my rear-end with my front-end and have no experience at all. Recommendations?

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...the quickest way (an cheapest, $21.60 for all 4 shipped to me)..is to use leaf spring clamps... you can install 2 or 4 depending leveling preference. I installed 4 and got the look I have (check my sig an gallery). This also made my truck ride firmer and gave me more control (less sway)... the other option is to use shackles, you can get info on this from Brian (Slammed1)...he's the resident master of bringin our dodges down...and can get good deals on the parts too...

·
Registered
562 Posts
ATLHEMI said:
My next project will be to replace shocks and level my truck. Whats the consensus on the best aftermarket shocks for the RAM? I want to level my rear-end with my front-end and have no experience at all. Recommendations?
I just added the spring clamps too, removing the center spring at the same time. While it gave me the exact look I wanted, adding the clamps seriously reduced spring travel, and the rear bottoms out way too quickly now on even the smallest bumps. Not a good ride, and this can't be good for the truck over the long haul. My next move is to crank the tbars to raise the front an inch, and slide the clamps to raise the rear an iinch and a half. The front to rear half inch height diff will be barely noticeable, raising the overall height won't bother me, and it'll help counter butt droop when the bed is lightly loaded, which is all it ever is anyway.
If that solution doesn't work, it will definitely be drop shackles.

Good luck on your project. :)

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...thats funny...with my spring clamps...I can still tow my boat and have never bottomed out...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine hits the bump stops sometimes on real sharp bumps, like RR tracks since I took out the middle leaf. I will either trim or replace them. Boy does it ride nice and looks just like the spring clamp job, without the bumps. ;)

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
chefred112 said:
...thats funny...with my spring clamps...I can still tow my boat and have never bottomed out...
his middle leaf removed along with the spring clamps is putting him alot more level and much closer to the bumpstops than yours with just the clamps......you have to remember on yours you are running around with a duplicated 1500-2000 lbs in the bed because of the overload being clamped directly to the main leaf pack.....your spring travel and articulation is going to be limited and keep your trucks springs from moving as much!! I would think when you hook your boat up to the hitch that it hardly even drops the rear of the truck????

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, spring clamps sounds quick and cheap. Any downside?

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...thats right Brian...The truck stays pretty close to level wen the boat is hooked up... I love the way it feels and rides with the clamps on... But I'll just say this now, I do want to lower my truck the correct way when my budget allows... spindles or coils, shackles and flip with air bag helpers...the bags bein the key because I tow the boat frequently... but for everyday use now...the clamps are perfect...

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
I just did KappaBalls truck with clamps... cant believe the new look just by bringin the rear down 1"-2"... he loves it...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna go with clamps for now as well. And if Brian ever makes it to Hotlanta, maybe I can get him to do it the "right" way.

Where can I get leaf spring clamps from? I googled it and didnt get much back.

·
Banned
524 Posts
IMO, I don't like the spring clamps....I put them on the rear leafs, about 1" back from edge of the side towards the front of the vehicle...I probably need better shocks too, but can't afford them right now.....the ride is just too "bouncy"

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!... OK one more question and I think we can put this thread to bed. I just want to level my rear-end with my front. How many clamps do I need? 2, one for the front of each leaf spring in the back? Or 4, 2 per side?

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
I would buy 4 ($21.60 to your door)...that way you can install 2 (b4 the axle) and if you want it more lower than that, install the other 2 (rear of the axle)...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.