DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Project Kenpachi '07-
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, the previous owner had no qualms whatsoever about abusing his quad cab. He took (or lost) the wheel jack assembly kit, the factory head unit, ripped some kind of sticker with info on it out of the glovebox (not sure what that could've been....) busted a stud on the rear wheel (apparently it was rusted at the time (I have one on order, courtesy of the dealer...).

And various other plastic items were either broken or missing (dome lights, ash stray.....). I'm not even sure I have the right mats for this truck.

Needless to say, I'm recluctant to give up on getting it all back together (got it for cheap and wasn't expecting it to be perfect being that it is a truck :eek: . Any kind of help would be appreciated. Being that I'm a noob to Dodge (GM alienated me with thier rebadged products...), this is all new to me.

I took a good look under the truck to see a Flowmaster muffler. not sure what type it is. Since it's a 4.7L I'm assuming that it's probably a 40 series. It's pretty rusted. I'm thinking about pulling it for a Borla system (thinking that a stainless steel system would do it justice).

I did test drive a '03 regular cab S/B w/ 4.7l. They wanted way too much for it though. Otherwise, I'd be satisfied. But after having spent a day or two in that one, I'm looking to get more (much more) out of this 4.7. If not, maybe a crate engine? Has anyone done a crate engine for their quad cab yet? How did it turn out? I had a grand scheme of getting a 428 put in there, but not sure if I could get away with it....

I'm also thinking about getting a better sway suspension kit for it, like a Hotckhis TVS pack.

·
Registered
285 Posts
They should give you a juck, or at least the lug wrench and extentions so you can get the spare down. There is a spare right?

·
Project Kenpachi '07-
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The spare was used. At least my pops has a Dakota, so I used his kit to get the spare down....

·
Very Niiiice! :)
4,471 Posts
wow... unless its a KILLER deal, i would shop around more, sounds like you are gonna run it to a ton of problems with this one... just imo tho. but if the dealership is gonna replace most of it, then you should be ok

-David

·
Registered
883 Posts
all that sounds like minor stuff,common for a car of it's age.hell I drove a mustang that was only a year old and the visors were broken, dome lamp didnt worke, dents in the QT panels, stained floorboards(soda I hope), and a speeding ticket in the glove box from the last guy that test drove it.unless they did something terribly wrong or they wanted alot of money for the truck it sounds fine. I mean come on you are looking at a $5 light bulb, a wheel stud, and some floor mats?? yet you made no mention of price,miles, body or powertrain wear. the stuff that really counts. come on man.

·
15,912 Posts
I say stay away. If the previous owner took that good care of it(scarcasim), then you are looking powertrain issues down the road. I have an 02 and it did not look anything like that when I bought it almost 2 years ago. As far as the items missing, make sure you get the dealer to replace the stuff that should be there. As far as the muffler, just because it is a 4.7 does not mean it is a 40 series. I have the 50 series and I have the 4.7. It's all a matter of personal preference when it comes to mufflers. Just my .02

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Yea stay away unless you drop a new engine in it before you even take it down the road.

·
Mopar Or No Car!
1,786 Posts
OK- it sounds to me like you already purchased this truck and wanted to bitch about these issues. Hopefully it was a good deal and the issues you have mentioned are minor unless there are powertrain issues caused by neglect like the others mentioned already. As for dropping in a 428? you said, (which is a Ford Block btw right?) would mean much work and $$$ in a newer Fuel Injected truck.

·
Project Kenpachi '07-
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
My fault, I should have explained myself better than I did.

The truck runs just fine, although there is some drone noise inside the cabin. There seems to be a loss of power at the lower end however, not sure if that's normal for this year and model.

You guys are right about the cosmetic issues, they can be fixed. I guess what I was thinking of here was, where I could go online to solve some of these little issues instead of going to the dealer? I spoke with a parts person out my way and the man told it was going to cost $100 to replace an ashtray. Wasn't exactly looking forward to spending that kind of money on such a part. The dash is cracking, but I know somebody that can help me there for a pretty good price.

The dealer gave me a pretty good deal on the truck despite all of the simple problems: $10,992. It had 58,000 miles on it (I've seen these trucks sell for a lot more with about 30,000 more miles here). The brakes won't need any work right away. The drivetrain (2WD) is in decent shape. The missing parts like the wheel jack and kit, the wheel stud, the dealer is replacing, I won't have to pay as far as that is concern.

Inside the glovebox, there was a sticker or tag there that was torn out. I was wondering if anyone had a clue about what that could have been? Is it important? If it is important, how do I go about replacing it?

I was hoping to find out what all the options are on this truck (mechanical). Is there a site or someplace I can look for to figure that out?

Not here to flame you guys or anything, just want to get squared away so I can get started on making this a better truck.

....oh and the 428.....disregard. I was thinking about dropping a 426 Hemi crate. I figured, if I couldn't create more power, why not drop a bigger, better motor in? Has anyone ever pulled this off? This 287 seems to have plenty of potential however, and if I can avoid pulling it out, I'd be happy enough.

·
15,912 Posts
If you go to the dodge website and send them your vin they can tell you what your truck was delivered with and in what configuration. The sticker on the inside of the glovebox usually has the paint code numbers and the rear gear size and if it has LSD or not. It is an informational sticker. The info you get from DCX will also provide that info, so I suggest starting there.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
The glovebox sticker really doesn't have any pertintat info... the most common thing it's reffered to for is to see what gear ratio is in the truck (you should have a 3.55).

As for other parts... there are a couple sponsers on this site that are either dealers or sell OEM equipment.

Welcome to DT.

·
Mopar Or No Car!
1,786 Posts
Also check out Ebay for cheaper OEM parts

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
Thanos 02 said:
My fault, I should have explained myself better than I did.

The truck runs just fine, although there is some drone noise inside the cabin. There seems to be a loss of power at the lower end however, not sure if that's normal for this year and model.

You guys are right about the cosmetic issues, they can be fixed. I guess what I was thinking of here was, where I could go online to solve some of these little issues instead of going to the dealer? I spoke with a parts person out my way and the man told it was going to cost $100 to replace an ashtray. Wasn't exactly looking forward to spending that kind of money on such a part. The dash is cracking, but I know somebody that can help me there for a pretty good price.

The dealer gave me a pretty good deal on the truck despite all of the simple problems: $10,992. It had 58,000 miles on it (I've seen these trucks sell for a lot more with about 30,000 more miles here). The brakes won't need any work right away. The drivetrain (2WD) is in decent shape. The missing parts like the wheel jack and kit, the wheel stud, the dealer is replacing, I won't have to pay as far as that is concern.

Inside the glovebox, there was a sticker or tag there that was torn out. I was wondering if anyone had a clue about what that could have been? Is it important? If it is important, how do I go about replacing it?

I was hoping to find out what all the options are on this truck (mechanical). Is there a site or someplace I can look for to figure that out?

Not here to flame you guys or anything, just want to get squared away so I can get started on making this a better truck.

....oh and the 428.....disregard. I was thinking about dropping a 426 Hemi crate. I figured, if I couldn't create more power, why not drop a bigger, better motor in? Has anyone ever pulled this off? This 287 seems to have plenty of potential however, and if I can avoid pulling it out, I'd be happy enough.
Hey man i would send airram a pm he has a pretty fast 4.7! And he is a dodgetalk sponser so he should be able to help you out!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Well, 58,xxx for a 2002 can't be too bad. Not knowing how the prev. owner drove it, I'd probably change all the fluids, maybe see how dirty the plugs are.

·
Registered
930 Posts
First of all, Welcome to DodgeTalk! You came to the right place. Here you will find all the info you'll need to get your 4.7 running and looking right.

It's good that you are getting some of the parts replaced by the dealership at no cost. I am assuming that you bought it from this particular dealer? Did they give you some kind of a warranty on it? Also, as suggested before, I would check and change all fluids. also, change plugs and wires, air filter, or look into a CAI system. Any type of preventive maintenance that can be done, should be done. For a 4+ year old truck with under 60K miles, that's not too bad. You can find a lot of stuff on ebay for our trucks, OEM and aftermarket. Plus, if you are looking to stay factory, check out our sponsors. They can hook you up, and some got DodgeTalk membership discounts, too, so that's an added plus. In any case, good luck with your new investment. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a money pit!!!
:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.