DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting an '04 or '05 Ram 1500 Hemi QC 4x2. Being this is my first truck I'll be purchasing, I have a couple of questions.

1. If I wanted to change the trim around the grill (Chrome to Black) is that something that is taken care of at the dealer before purchasing or is it something that should be done afterwards?

2. Has anyone had any trouble with theft? I currently drive a civic that is one of the top stolen cars. Had my car broken into 3 times in the past year.

3. Is the Hemi overhyped/a marketing ploy? Why don't more engines use hemispherical combustion chambers?

4. What is the #1 reason you bought your Dodge Ram as opposed to other trucks (Chevy, Ford, Nissan etc.)

Thanks.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Flashover said:
Looking at getting an '04 or '05 Ram 1500 Hemi QC 4x2. Being this is my first truck I'll be purchasing, I have a couple of questions.

1. If I wanted to change the trim around the grill (Chrome to Black) is that something that is taken care of at the dealer before purchasing or is it something that should be done afterwards?

2. Has anyone had any trouble with theft? I currently drive a civic that is one of the top stolen cars. Had my car broken into 3 times in the past year.

3. Is the Hemi overhyped/a marketing ploy? Why don't more engines use hemispherical combustion chambers?

4. What is the #1 reason you bought your Dodge Ram as opposed to other trucks (Chevy, Ford, Nissan etc.)

Thanks.
Welcome to DodgeTalk! let me see if I can help you....

1. No, the dealer in most cases wouldnt be the one to talk to about that. That's more of an aftermarket thing.

2. Dodge Rams are in the top ten most stolen vehicles in America, and high up on the list in some states, like Texas. No reason to lie about it. Just buy a good security system.

3. Hemi is a Chrysler trademark. But the 5.7 engine itself has proven to be a solid performer. best in class? In some ways, yes, in others, damn close. Either way, people love it and you'll find out really quick here on DT that Hemi owners are very satisfied with their trucks.

4. I would own nothing but a Chrysler product. So maybe I am not the one to ask. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
1. If you are talking about the inside of the grill (billet) then that would be an aftermarket product. If you are talking about the grill itself then you can get one that matches your trucks color instead of chrome from the dealer if you get the Sport Appearance Package. THat will include Body Color Grille, Rear Fascia w/Step Pads, Front Fascia and body side molding. Again..they are all the body color instead of chrome. I got that package because I dont like the chrome was much.

2. I have only owned mine for about a month, but I suggest getting an aftermarket security system.

3. Hemi is a good engine, but to walk around saying...that thing got a hemi is a bit overhype :)

4. I would say it was the looks #1...engine #2

·
Registered
562 Posts
4. Looks, Hemi.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
If you want all black save yourself a ton of hassle and buy a sport.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
RamLion said:
and if u want to spend alot on addons get and slt
Mine's an SLT. ;)

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
1. There's a ton of things you can do that the dealer wouldn't be the one to ask on (and the grill stuff is one of them). But if you want body colored, do like the guys said before and go with a Sport.

2. I live in Texas. Mine just ain't different enough from the thousands of other Rams yet to be a target...I said yet:D

3. Plenty of engines use a hemi-type head. Mopar is the one that made it famous. No matter the internal engine design, the Hemi is a great engine for power, and depending on how you drive it, economy. (You're not going to get great mileage, but hey, it's a big, heavy, tough truck, what can you expect?).

4. I was raised on GM vehicles. My first DC product was a '97 Dakota. I loved it so much I made the mistake of driving a 3rd Gen. Ram and knew I was going to have one. It's bigger than the Ford and Chevy trucks. I can beat all but their bigger-motored trucks. It's just more comfortable while still being a mean-assed truck. I'll never by anything else (sorry Grampa).

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Flashover said:
1. ... or is it something that should be done afterwards?
3. Is the Hemi overhyped/a marketing ploy?
4. What is the #1 reason you bought your Dodge Ram ...
1. Aftermarket unless you get a sport.
3. No because it delivers. Nicest engine I have ever had the pleasure of driving around.
4. Looks, performance, reputation (hard keeping it at 3 reasons ...)

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
The Hemi IS a marketing success. It is no way, form or fashion the great 426 cu.in. in the 60's. There are tons of room for aftermarket inhancements if you want to play John Force especially when the computer code is mastered. Many forget Ford had a "Hemi" also. It's all up to you. I have one and would not trade it for nothing and yes I debadged all except the "HEMI" badge because I like the way it looks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i have had mine about 4 months now and still cant wait to get in
and drive it every day.
the reason top reason i got mine was bang for the buck, i looked around for several months before geting mine. i looked at ford,chevy,titan and the dodge and this one although not #1 in all catergories was still the best choice for me and with all the rebates you can a very nice truck for little money and once you change out the exhaust man does it sound mean.
good luck with your choice

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
1. you could get it through the dealer as an aftermarket part, or through Slammed1 on here

2. Rams are stolen, there's been about 5-7 members posting "where's my ram" threads, but it happens in any vehicle if a thief wants it

3. it's mostly hype, but it has more power than any other small block in a full sized truck on the market right now, and they look the best too

4. no, the new Ford f-150's look like poser japanese trucks, the Chevrolet has to lose the vertical lights and the new hood, and I won't drive a Toyota/Honda/Nissan/Hyundai etc. etc.

plus, when's the last time you seen a toyota/nissan 2500, or one pulling a 15,000 lb trailor?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
what these guys said.

·
Registered
143 Posts
One recommendation regarding theft -- don't get the slider window on the back, it invites theft and is the most common means of breaking into a pickup. My 02 Ram had one, and it was broken into... just because it was there. There was nothing visible to entice theft, and nothing was stolen when they broke in. My 04 doesn't have it, but I do admit it was nice to have in the summer.

If you really want the slider, alarm it and make sure there's a flashing LED on it.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
4. Dodge makes the best looking truck on the road... and the best engine!

·
Registered
107 Posts
you are all right but the main reason that i bought ny 2004 was IT IS A BAD ASS TRUCK. look and the style of the truck. the stance it is an overpowering vehicle. i have mopar in my blood as many of the DT brothers have. this truck is just awsum in all catigories, but with the performance is lower fuel milage. but you know that when you talk to cheby or ford owners they don't get that good milage ether. for the size of the truck overall , the milage is good. just my 2 cents worth.... eh.

·
Registered
259 Posts
1. If you mean the black honey cone looking grill I bet you could find someone on here with one they'd sell you cheap (most people go the other way). There is also lots of aftermarket grill options. If you are talking about the grill shell, your best bet, like others have said, is to go with the sport appearance group. I think it makes the truck look 100 times better.

2. I have never had a problem with theft.

3. From what I was told the 2.7, 3.7, 4.7 and 5.7 are all "Hemi's", but the 5.7 is the only what they use the name on. It is just a marketing ploy. I do love my Hemi though :D

4: The only real truck IMO is the Dodge Ram. I love the styling of the truck and have with all the previous Dodge Rams. Also my best friend is a Dodge Mechanic, I know I won't get screwed around when I go in for service.

Andrew

·
EATEN FORD SH!TIN CHEVY'S
303 Posts
buy A GOOD Alarm Man

My Truck Has Been Broken Into 4 Times With It 1 Yr.

Once @ The Astros Game
Once At The Airport
2 Time Eating Lunch On My Lunch Break

The Very First Time I Gun All My Hunting Gear And Rifle
All Total 1600.00 And I Had No Home Owners Insurance At The Time And In Texas Your Car Insurance Only Covers Factory Items,sunglasses,Cd's Some Oftermarket Things Are Covered But Not Much!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm getting close to purchasing an '05 Ram. It's June now, would their be a big difference in price if I waited until Sept. when the '06 comes out? Also, does anyone in Socal have any input on which dealerships they used/had a good experience with or which dealerships they stayed away from/had bad experience with. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.