DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pudge
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well one day as i was taking a day off to work on my truck, i decided to start with the vacuum pump on the front axle because the 4x4 light was always on, so i took it off and here the damn fork was seized, so the truck was in 4x4 all the time but it only really worked when you put the transfer case in 4x4, it basically just hurt my fuel mileage a bit, so i stuck a punch in the slot where the sensor belongs and hit it a few times and broke the plunger free, now it goes back and forth when shifting the transfer case in and out of 4x4, but as i put it back on i put the vaccum pump back into 2hi but the axle was engaged, so i didnt end up putting the fork back on the locking collar that it slides , so when i went to shift the truck into 4x4 it popped the collar off to far and it made a loud grinding noise, so i went to put it on by taking the vacuum pump off but the collar would not slide on to the axle, so i jacked the passenger side tire up and got my brother to spin it, you could feel the splines meeting up but it still wouldnt move..... so basically what iam asking, is the colar screwed or do i just need to remove the axle which i have done lots so that way i can take a good run and pushing it back into the colar or do i take it to a shop?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Nope, just an internal spline that slips over the ends of both shafts. You've probably burred the ends of the splines by pushing it beyond the spline on the shaft. should come free with removing the inner shaft.

·
Pudge
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do you mean by the Inner Shaft? like the passenger side axle?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yes, but I can't remember whether the CAD collar will come out with only the inner shaft out, but once it is out then the intermediate shaft should just slip out anyway, unless the splines are seriously mangled.

·
Pudge
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no the shaft splines on the axle are all fine it just that the collar wont match up, mechanic said that it is always tough to slide the axle into the collar, you have to give it a good push, so im gonna dissasemble the hub and try that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.