DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HELP !! 2005 Ram Brake Controller Question

18K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  rammerjammer 
#1 ·
My ram factory hitch and 4 wire plug in back, in fuze box. #1 says Electric Brake... does that mean controller is factory? never heard of it yet..

Could someone help and tell me if the 05 rams have built in brake controllers?
I looked at all the posts and someone said that the plug i am looking for is bolted on the fat harness, on the left, OK NOW .. there is one there but a plug with wires are all ready plugged into it and that is throwing me off here,

The Plug has 2 Blue Wires with White stripes on it and a red and such...

I have hooked up controllers on all my rams and they use to be just hanging down in the kick panel,

Any help would be great Thanks....

#2 ·
brake controller

I have a 2005 Ram 1500 ad have installed a brake controller on it , there is a plug under the dash that is prewired to the rear of the truck for the controller , bought the wiring harness adaptor that connected that plug to the controller off of ebay for 1/5 the price that te dealer wanted , in the rear I tapped into the wiring and spliced into my plug which I had to buy but the holes are there for it , there is another plug adaptor for the rear but I didn't have time to locate after market and didn't want to pay dealers price ------so to answr your question , no it isn't factory installled but part of the wiring is there , and the dealer does sell two adaptors that will makig it easier to hook up

#3 ·
No vehicle, except, I think, the Ford Super Duty Dually has a brake controller built in. 99.999% of the time you need to install a brake controller for your trailer. Like stated above, there is a harness you can use to wire up the controller that is available from Dodge, I used it, and it makes installing a controller a snap.

#4 ·
Thanks

Well you are both right, I happened to take the truck into the dealer where I got the truck last week and a mechanic looked under the dash and said I have no plugs or anything to hook it up,

He said I have to get the 7-Way harrness kit from somewhere or them and I have to ( Hardwire it ) and tap the cold side of the break pedel, I dont really like doing that, I dont see any plugs myself, like my other 2 rams had..

Thank you to all who replied !!!

#5 ·
I thought most of our trucks came with the 7 pin harness in the back and prewired up front under the dash and alls you would need is the adapter plug that they ship with the truck that is usually in the glove box.
do you have the 7 pin plug on your rear bumber? if so then you will have a white plug shoved way uder the dash to where your brake controller harness will plug into

I am pretty sure I have a spare harness that plugs into the harness under the dash .. if you need it I can find it and will let ya have it for like $15 shipped to your door .. this is the harness that wires your brake controller to the truck

#6 ·
No 7-Way

I only have the 4 wire flat plug that come factory but the hole to mount the 7-Way is there I looked again and again and to brake hookup and I even tore the dash off to look for it.. lol

So I guess I am hard wiring it,

thanks again to all.....

#8 ·
Doesn't it all depend on weather your truck was built with tow package or not, that you would have they prewired brake control harness or not?

#10 ·
I have a 2006 2500 and I can't find the plug under the dash ANYWHERE. I have the towing package and the 7 pin plug. The harness that came with the truck says that there is a matching blue plug to the left of the stering column but...... after tearing the dash apart, I can't find anything that looks like a matching plug. Is it blue? Where is it ?

Thanks,
Mike

#12 ·
There is a blue plug but the shape is not the shape of the plug that was in the glove box. The one that was supplied with the truck is flat. The one that is up near the e-bake will not fit. Its looks like an L with two inputs on the long side and one input on the top. Did they give me the wrong connector ?

#13 ·
The plug from the factory has been the same from 1994 to 2008 so it is doubtful the dealership gave you the wrong plug. It may look different but it will plug in. You have to "snap" the blue plug off the column in order to plug the harness in.

#14 ·
The blue plug from the dealer is correct , it is flat with 4 wires going into the back of the plug.
What kind of Ram is it, my friend just bought an 05 Daytona, and it didn't have the factory tow bar installed, but he did have the harness installed.

After he had the dealer install a factory bolt on tow adapter, his brake adapter still didn't work. The dealer said the daytona's and srt's have the harness underneath, but they still need another harness added in to allow the brake adapter.

$89 later he had another harness and brakes now work..
I just looked under my 06 2500 CTD and I can't find the brake harness connection either, its not near the e-brake..

Looking harder for it now !!!!

#15 ·
Thanks guys........found it ... up next to the E-Brake wrapped up in the back. Found an awesome place in the 2006 Ram 2500 right inside the little rectangular place where you'd put CDs. Just couldnt figure out how to get a hole in the back of it with =out drilling blindly into the back of it. Ended up mounting it on the upslope of the underdash, in front of the gas pedal. Accessable and out of the way. Where did everyone else mount theirs?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.