DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 2500 4X4 LB cummins w/shell 93000 miles brand new FireStone(generic) 265/75r16 (max PSI 35 :hair: )

I bought this truck last Sat. Drove about 150 miles with no problems. went over a bridge that has a small (1-2") lip and the rear axle started to hop like I threw half the tread on both rear tires. I slowed down and at 45 it quit as fast as it started. Pulled over, found nothing wrong. Started driving again and made it another 70 mile before it happened again (same circumstances). I called the salesman, and the tire dept, and the Service dept.

Brought the vehicle back the next day. They CND (could not duplicate). They felt the rear shocks were bad and wanted $225 to do it. After a short discussion the the deal G.M. they did it for free.

On the same bridge it still did it. It did start slow and increase to the amplitude it was before. So the shocks seem to have changed the issue. Personally I feel it is the tires. I don't think the pressure is near enough for that heavy of a vehicle at highway speeds.

Any thoughts are welcome. :banghead: This Thur. I am going to swap tires from my 99 2wd and try it on the same bridge.

Randy

·
Registered
199 Posts
Maybe the tires are not balanced and the "bump" gets it bouncing at a noticable level?
Is there a carrier bearing on the drive shaft? Is it ok? Drive shaft u-joints?
Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Before I had the issue I took it up tp 90 and felt no vib. and there none noticable at any lower speeds. I checked the carrier and u-joints. It is not a small vib. There was enough pounding to shift the front of the bed to the right 1/8". Everything on the floor in the back seat ended up in the front floor boards.

Randy

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hmmm. Is it happening on ALL 1-2" bumps or just at this bridge? Are the wheel lugs tight? Is the cap on tight?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has occurred at two spots. The first is at the start of a 1/2 mile bridge. the other was an over pass for two lane road. On the longer bridge it stops as soon as the speed get to 45. Then you could spped back up a w/o issue.

Randy

·
Registered
199 Posts
Check the cross member trany mount bolts and engine mount bolts.Are they tight?
And stay off the bridges and over passes.
:thatfunny

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I have been doing. I've put on 650 miles since I got it and its only done it the three times. Hopfully the tire swap this Thur. will give me some data. I would be less concerned about it if I were the one that would be driving it. It will primarily be my wifes truck though.

Randy

·
Registered
3 Posts
it's called the "death wobble"
so far the "cure" for it is to have your caster settings to full positive.
i had it on my 94 2500 4x4. it's scary the first time !!! only way to stop it is to jam on the brakes.
same bridge seams would set it off every time unless i was under 65mph.
you can read alot about it here
??????????

i'm new here. why can't i post a link to another board that has pages on the wobble issue ??

email me and i'll send ya the link

the custom alignment specs are buried in those post somewhere. i can find them if you can't

·
Registered
3 Posts
reply with link sent

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sounds like the dreaded "death wobble". I have seen mine as more of a jump to the side when hitting a small bump at highway speeds while holding slight tension to the left (very slight curve). The normal cause is a loose track bar, although I have seen trucks get rid of it by changing shocks or even just changing the tire pressure in the rear eliminated it for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ICEMAN,
I'm not a TDR member yet. Friend of mine has been since 97 but is not computer savy. Could you bump that link and tell me which forum it's in?

Rammer,
I have done a quick check of the front end but not detailed due to the fact it feels like the rear axle. Also last time it did happened it bounced my foot into brake peddle. The front of the truck dropped and did not pull, so I think the front is solid. I need to look at the track bar better, they did replace one end.

Thanks for the ideas,
Randy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ALL BOW TO "ICEMAN"

Death Wobble has been dampened. Had my wife drive next to me with Video Camera to verify where it was coming from. Turns out the front axle. The wheela were turning about 15 degrees Left & Right. Before that I did Detailed Visual of the front and found the Steering Damper wiggled about 1/4" at the shaft.

Took it to the dealer and told them the results. They put on two new front shocks. We they called me I asked if they replaced the stabalizer. They had not. A short conversation convinced them they needed to ;) . It still has shakes once and stops. Shows the old dampener was wasted due to underlieing alignment issue. I'm going to look at it tommorrw.

Thanks all for your help. Now we will keep the truck!!!
Randy

·
Registered
3 Posts
newriverCummins said:
ICEMAN,
I'm not a TDR member yet. Friend of mine has been since 97 but is not computer savy. Could you bump that link and tell me which forum it's in?
i used the search feature,,"death wobble" to bring up 10 pages of threads/topics on the subject and that was the link i sent you.
not sure if "search " is a member only feature or not.
try search from tdr forum page(in drop down menu's at top)
most info on the subject is in the 2nd gen no engine/trans discussions.
let me know if it works for you. i'll try and figure another way to get it to you.

i would like to have a copy of that video if possible.

here's what i have learned from personal experience on fixing the wobble.
it seems that any one change,,new dampener/steering stabilizer,,or new shocks,,new tires,,or just rotating tires,,balancing tires,,new trak bar,,will stop the wobble for a while but it will come back.
the only "cure" for it is to have your caster set to full forward or close to it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Search is a member feature on the TDR. I found the caster adjustments a little wierd. The left adjustment is near full fwd. The right is nearly vertical.
***Read all the way throught the post and I was looking at the cross caster eccentrics***I think that is my problem. Found a good posting here by the search.

serrious front end issues - Posted: 05-09-2005, 12:38 PM

It gives a "Certified" persons view of the issue. While this is just their opinion I think I'll try it. If not the fix then I will try the full fwd mothod. I'm just concerned about tire wear. As for the video, we just got the camera. Only the third time we used it. It does hook up to the computer though. So I will try to edit it down to the good frames and try to post it here. if not I'll e-mail to you. It shows very well what is happening. You can see the tires sliding.

Thanks for all your help.
Randy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.