DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first time on DodgeTalk posting for help as I am completely stumped.

I've recently acquired a 1987 Dodge W250 5.9 (360) Gasser, my friends and I have recently been putting some work into it like a new starter, relays, etc, however we're currently stuck on fuel delivery. No fuel is making it to the carb. We've removed the line off the carb and pressured the tank with an air chuck and a rag and managed to get fuel out of the line at the carb. It didn't seem to be blocked or restricted at all.

We assumed it was the fuel pump however it was replaced recently before we got the truck (as the previous owner had an issue with fuel supply which we're assuming is the same issue now.)

What could this be? Our next idea is a vacuum leak somewhere.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could have a crack in the line going to the fuel pump, it could even be inside the tank. This would allow air into the pump and you would loose prime.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have you removed the fuel pump and activate by hand to see if it's working---you can reconnect it to fuel tank line to see if it will pump fuel---(BTW is it the correct fuel pump???)---also when installing it were you careful to make sure it is under the pump lobe---is the pump lobe there---is the pump lobe loose---sometimes (this is out there but it happens) the lever will disconnect from the diaphragm inside and/or wear out-----ck this out---------------https://www.google.com/search?q=fuel+pump+diaphragm+definition&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=WKgZ59Z8QZ_XrM%252CD7PMSG2GaM_HsM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQz-neK34FTiLwt4DFVpjMxtmMQ_A&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjb79P43IHzAhUCGVkFHeoxAv4Q9QF6BAgdEAE&biw=1920&bih=930#imgrc=WKgZ59Z8QZ_XrM----------------other issues then can happen if it's a rubber line from fuel tank that the inside will deteriate and close off line/block---you can gravety feed fuel to carburetor/engine with an old lawnmower tank to see if it will run---if it does it's a fuel supply problem/pump----HERE'S WHAT YOU DON'T DO IS BLOW OUT GAS LINE WITH AIR---YOU CAN CAUSE AN EXPLOSION/FIRE---YOU CAN USE AN INERT GAS TO DO IT BUT NOT AIR---a lot of people do it and get away with it--works but the one time it doesn't they'll never do it again----in addition can you siphon fuel from tank via the tank supply line---don't know the age of the tank or sending unit but the sending unit fuel line could rust/rot at flange including inside---there's so many variables here GL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts