DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm a total newbie at this, so forgive my ignorance...

Last week some time, the passenger door power window stopped working (both the passenger and driver controls do not open the window). I'm assuming it's something electronic, so I'll probably open the door up and have a look-see (any advice on potential problems would be appreciated !)

Also, yesterday the check engine light came on. I don't know how to get the diagnostic codes that go along with an error condition - presumbaly there's a way besides having to take the car to a dealer - so any assistance here would be appreciated. (I've read some posts about key on/off cycling; not sure this works with an '03 Caravan?) Is it possible that the window problem could be triggering the check engine light ? I don't imagine it is, but I'm certainly no expert.

Can anyone help me with:

1. how can I get the "error codes" that are behind the check engine light (... and what do they mean)
2. advice on how to troubleshoot a power window that won't work.

Thanks !

· Registered
984 Posts
You can get your error/trouble/fault codes by going to one of the big chain auto parts stores like AutoZone or Advance and asking them to pull your codes. They come out to the car with a code reader, plug it in, and then go back inside to print out your results for you. All for free!

That said, your check engine light issue is not related to your power window issue.

The most likely problem is a power window motor. To troubleshoot, pull the interior panel, and remove the switch from the panel (2 screws) and plug it back where it belongs to test. If you work the switch and get no noise from the motor, the motor is bad. If the motor whines and turns, the issue lies with the mechanism, which is a mix of cables and levers, which should be self-evident just from looking at it.

I had a bad front passenger PW motor on my '01 GC, and I won't say it was the easiest job I ever did, as I had to get creative with unbending and bending back the metal tabs to remove the cable spool from the motor. A mix of pliers, vice grips, hammers and screw drivers did the trick, and anyone who's careful and persistent can do it. Don't forget to apply some lithium grease to the spool and tracks while you're in there, or you'll be doing this job again soon enough. Other than getting that spool off and re-secured, it's a simple fix. The motor was, if I recall, $75 new.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Rick

· Registered
1,925 Posts
you can cycle the ignition switch to the run position 3 times and the codes will display one after another in the odometer. Just be ready with paper to write them down-- cycle the key on-off-on-off-on then look for the codes (do not start the engine).

Post the codes here and we'll be happy to help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.