DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used these "off road" headlight replacements that Hella makes? 80 watt low beam and 100 watt high beam. Sounds like a solution to the crappy stock headlights, i have the silverstars now and I think they still suck.

·
:D Hello!!!
3,401 Posts
I have those wattage in the plasmaglow bulbs from Moe's Performance. awesome lights!!

·
Searching for an Avatar
30 Posts
I have used the Hella 100w/80w on other vehicles of mine. They put off a lot more light than stock. For light output, they are about halfway between a good set of 60w/55w stock bulbs and an HID system. The best part is that they work perfectly with stock reflector housings, so your beam pattern doesn't change like it will with an HID system, and it also appears stock (except for brightness) to the popo and inspection stations. The bad news is, you are pulling more power through the harness and putting out almost twice as much heat over a stock bulb. In many vehicles, the plastic headlight housing can't withstand the increased heat, but I can't say for certain if this would ever be an issue with the Ram headlights. If the housings were metal I wouldn't even hesitate for a second to go this direction. I would definately do a harness upgrade at the same time (better safe than sorry). The Hella bulbs are what I used. I've never heard anything about the Plasmaglows before so I can't comment on them. But, be very wary of bulbs that advertise 100w/80w light output. There are several brands (that seem to infest ebay) that get that level of light output at the stock 55w level by sacrificing bulb life or by flat out lying about the level of light output. A real 100w/80w bulb will actually consume 100w/80w of power. On the other forums for the vehicles I have used this, Hella is the only brand considered - but if the plasmaglows are really 100w/80w and a vendor is supported then I don't see a problem with them.

·
:D Hello!!!
3,401 Posts
Well I can't verify that, but I guarantee that they are much brighter/whiter than the stock bulbs!! :rck:

·
Acoustics
1,338 Posts
i have streetglows and they are rated the same also...but i've had to adjust my headlights for Optimum vision but yea, they are much brighter and better than stock

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the good info, i myself am still weary of the factory wiring for that size bulb. On high the lights would be drawing very close to 17 amps wich is a good amount of power. And the heat did concern me as well. If anyone else has 80/100 rated bulbs I would like to hear what you have to say before i go for this. Thanks!

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
I wanted to go that route, but like everyone else, I'm leary of the amp draw and the effect on the plastic lenses on our Rams. In the mean time I'll stick with the behind the grille lights!

Attachments

·
Acoustics
1,338 Posts
You shouldnt have any problems running a higher wattage bulb! If you had a GM product i would state otherwise due to the small wiring used on their cars and trucks! I've seen alot of burnt up sockets on GM's becuz people dont pay attention to what they are buying and dont think about it. If your worried about the socket just go to auto-zone and buy the upgraded plug that has thicker gauge wire to allow for the higher wattage bulbs! I had a saturn that had high wattage bulbs and the reflector that hangs in front of the bulb started changing colors within a month and ive had mine in my truck for atleast 3 months now and still no problems.

The only thing i am having problems with i posted about and thats the driver side low beam wont be on sometimes and i'll get the LAMP OUT when i turn the headlights on at first but if i turn on my high beams and leave them on for a second or so then flip back it comes on and the light on my dash goes out but i havent looked to see if i just didnt get it clipped in or what

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.