DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1013 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after discovering that the factory lighting is abysmal at best, I decided a few weeks ago to install some auxillary lighting somewhere on the front of the truck, as well as upgrade the bulbs.

I had originally intended to order a Randy Ellis lightbar and install 4 Hella lights, but after measuring everything, it turned out the truck wouldn't fit in my garage with the extra 4 inches of lightbar on the front. :mad: (Yeah, it's really that tight in there.)

So after reading everything I could find, and finding out that the Westin bar won't fit either on Sport models, I elected to install two Hella 500 driving lights behind the grill, and jumper the fogs to stay on all the time while I was at it.

I have a hookup at a local Auto-Parts supplier, so I got the Hellas for only $50! :rck: :rck: The instructions might have well been written in Sanskrit, so I threw that shit away and installed them with my own wiring and relays just to be sure. I did use the switch and a few of the included connectors, however.

I drilled through the metal bar behind the grill, and installed the lights where others have put theirs. ( NOTE: For those of you considering this mod, make sure to place the lights directly above the existing hole in the bottom of the supprt bar. This makes getting a socket in there to tighten everything MUCH easier. It would suck otherwise, my bleeding knuckles wil tell you. )

After the lights were mounted but still loose, I ran the power and ground wires to the driver's side of the truck behind the support bar, and ran them behind the fusebox and battery where I mounted the relays in a small waterproof project box. I used flex-loom to cover all the wires, since I am horribly anal about wiring. No wires are visible from the front at all, and you'd have to look pretty hard to find any inside the bay as well. Power comes directly from the battery, and ground from the chassis ground on the fender near the fusebox. I ran the switch wires throught the firewall in an existing grommet, and used power from my existing radar hardwire as a relay trigger, since it is an ignition-on, fused source.

I mounted the switch to the left of the steering wheel ( Thanks for the recommendation, guys! ) and although the green light matches the color of the dash pretty well, it is horribly bright and distracting. I ended up pulling the switch's ground wire, which disables the LED. Much better, IMO, especially for those of you with dark-ass tint like mine, since it reflected pretty bad.

After the Hellas were done, I jumpered the fog light relay like everyone else has done ( Thanks again for the great info on that one! ), which took about 3 minutes.

I drove it for awhile last night and adjusted the lights a bit, and these things make a HUGE difference! Even with the fogs and highbeams on, these things are the eyes of god. They light up the road and the surrounding areas way, way the hell down there, way past the range of the stock headlights. I am VERY happy, especially for $50 and a few hours of work. I still need to fine-tune the alignment a bit, but I am happy overall.

Here are some pics during the day, I will take some more tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
lokks nice and clean...and your definatly right about that switch WOW!

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
Is there any concern about melting the grill?

Also, what does this mean? "After the Hellas were done, I jumpered the fog light relay like everyone else has done ( Thanks again for the great info on that one! ), which took about 3 minutes."

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
04Ram2500Hemi said:
Is there any concern about melting the grill?

Also, what does this mean? "After the Hellas were done, I jumpered the fog light relay like everyone else has done ( Thanks again for the great info on that one! ), which took about 3 minutes."
The lights are far enough from the grill that I don't think that will be a problem, especially since they don't stay on for THAT long.

What I meant was that I put a jumper between the high-beam relay and the factory fog light relay, which let me keep the fog lights on with the highbeams. A lot of people have done this, and I got the info from this board.

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
man those suckers are bright ! :D

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
okay guys, quick question, i am going out to buy some of these lights this weekend at my auto parts store. my question is this. wiring....what the hell. why cant i just run the grounds from each light to the same battery or chassis ground, mate the two power wires together to a switch off the battery. why the relay, i will have my lights work independetly of the vehicles lights or high beams. so i can turn on and off when i want. any idears. thats how i did my reverse lights

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
byrdawg13 said:
okay guys, quick question, i am going out to buy some of these lights this weekend at my auto parts store. my question is this. wiring....what the hell. why cant i just run the grounds from each light to the same battery or chassis ground, mate the two power wires together to a switch off the battery. why the relay, i will have my lights work independetly of the vehicles lights or high beams. so i can turn on and off when i want. any idears. thats how i did my reverse lights
Sure you can do that but if you want the ease of them switching with hi beam a trigered relay is the way to go.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
AntiTrust said:
What I meant was that I put a jumper between the high-beam relay and the factory fog light relay, which let me keep the fog lights on with the highbeams. A lot of people have done this, and I got the info from this board.
Bubba's jump trick is an excellent mod but I would take the link from the grounds rather than the + feeds.
I also ran the wires from the link back inside and added a switch so I can override from inside the cab.
Another thing to take into consideration is the location of the lights if your going to add AirRam's Scoop. They need to be further in to allow clearance.
A great mod and all who find the stock lights a bit weak will love the transformation.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
rtes said:
Sure you can do that but if you want the ease of them switching with hi beam a trigered relay is the way to go.
yes, i like all my lights working independently, sometimes i dont need the extra hellas and just want brights. you see wha ti mean. i was told one time, if i wire without a relay and run the lights for a while i can melt the wiring.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
byrdawg13 said:
You can do it that way, but I would rather have the safety of a separate relay instead of running the power through the little switch. I can have my driving lights on any time the ignition is on, regardless of what lights are on, AND the power is run through a heavy duty relay instead of drawing from the existing headlight wiring. Just preference, I suppose, although cooking your headlight harnesses is a possibility without a relay.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
but i wasnt gonna even touch the headlights, run the light totally seperate. do you see what i mean

·
AndIHopeYouLikeRamminToo!
1,438 Posts
Looks good, thanks for the tip on the mounting point. I went out and bought some KC Daylighter's last week. Just waiting for some time to do the install. I was gonna go w/ the Hella's but, I figured for another $30, I'd get the KC's I hope to have pics by this weekend.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dammit!! Just when I thought I might be able to relax this weekend. Now I see this and gotta have em'! Looks great!! Nice and clean. Must be like daytime when you have everything going. Nice job!! :rck:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
that is cool think i will have to look into that myself

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
Can somebody point me to a thread on putting the jumper between the high-beam relay and the factory fog light relay?

·
Giddy-up...
928 Posts
AntiTrust said:
Even with the fogs and highbeams on, these things are the eyes of god.
Now that is a funny quote. :) Nice install, looks good! I may have to do this and aim em a bit to the left for those idiots on these one-lane roads who refuse to dim their lights early in the morning. A set of those will prolly have them turn their lights completely off and pull over and curl up in a fetal position in the floorboard. LOL

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Very cool! This is on my my "to do" list for sure ...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Blackin said:
Now that is a funny quote. :) Nice install, looks good! I may have to do this and aim em a bit to the left for those idiots on these one-lane roads who refuse to dim their lights early in the morning. A set of those will prolly have them turn their lights completely off and pull over and curl up in a fetal position in the floorboard. LOL
That's good stuff!! LOL :D

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Blackin said:
But that's a funny quote too! :thatfunny

1 - 20 of 1013 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.