DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all may remember I have a little coolant leak in my rear pass. side manifold stud--stripped some of the outer threads, I believe, in process of installing a new stud.

The leak for now seems manageable, I had to add about a quart of coolant to the overflow tank once last week but the radiator was still filled to the brim.

I'm thinking I will wait until springtime to tackle this--but want to know now if I can safely install a helicoil in a waterjacket location? I don't see why not, but I've heard a few scattered comments suggesting you don't want to do that.

Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
235 Posts
You might want to partially drain the cooling system before you Helicoil there. Also, possibly some sort of water resistant sealant when you put the coil and stud back in.

L

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sure you can do that, I had to do it several times on a couple 440's in years past, you just need to make sure you drain coolant below thread hole. You must use a thread sealer on the heli-coil when installing it in the hole, and when installing the manifold bolt. I used a thread sealer that was high temp with teflon and Copper. It worked very well, with no aftermath of having to do it over again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
oops, I forgot to mention, that to "lock the heli-coil in place, I used loc-tite thread locker on the heli coil to cylinder head, be careful as to not get any thread locker on the manifold bolt when doing so or it will almost surely break again, thread locker is very tough stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.