DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for some tailgate help. ive been searching the forums, and searching youtube, but i just haven't found what i expected or want. what have you guys used to get a lighter tailgate action? i open and close the tailgate alot at work and have wanted this for a while.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You talking about when opening the tailgate, trying to lighten the action of the handle when lifting up on it?

IDK about these 3g Dodges, but all the time on my fords, I'd lower the tailgate, open the tailgate to where the latching mech is, then I'd adjust the rods inside that worked both the latches, IIRC they were screw type, just a had a plastic cap on it that went over the threads to keep it from moving.

Mine on my 2004 is fairly easy, barely any pressure at all and it opens.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
I'll have to find the company name but I used this rod that I had to drill a hole in the side of tailgate and in the frame of bed (easy)..with the rod in place, whenever i openned tail gate, the lower it got the softer the opennnig, so now the energy is in the rod so that when i want to close it, it only took 2 fingers to close...it was pretty cool...

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
do a search on Tailgate Easylift...that's what I have..

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
You need a torsion spring for the tailgate.
First the stiff ride.. now the tailgate..

are you sure you're ready for a big boy truck????

:)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need a torsion spring for the tailgate.
First the stiff ride.. now the tailgate..

are you sure you're ready for a big boy truck????

:)

agreed. im kind of a sissy truck owner, but i have had threads asking for more low end torque, and a should i buy a diesel instead thread, so its 2 for 4 on the manliness of my threads. middle of the pack. 50th percentile.

i think the torsion bar might be what i was looking for. i saw that this morning, thought i also saw a no drill version. theres hopkins. is that what you got chefred?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just put on what chefred112 is talking about.Just about as good as having sex. $19.13 on amazon free shipping.Wish I had put it on sooner.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, here is what i have found.

1. hopkins.. torsion bar. drill into bed and truck sides. ez down, ez up

2. dee zee.. strut setup, replaces existing side clips. ez down

3. topup.. beautiful setup. spring lift. no drill. ez down, ez up

i really like the topup, but it is a european product and only made for overseas trucks. just thought id post my research for anyone else looking.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've got both. Main reason is my son(6) unlatched the tailgate nearly hitting a friend of mines 6 year old and tossed him end over end for about 5ft. Scared the liven SH!T out of all of us. Since that happened everyone I know bought both. To me safety was the biggest thing.

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
I've got both. Main reason is my son(6) unlatched the tailgate nearly hitting a friend of mines 6 year old and tossed him end over end for about 5ft. Scared the liven SH!T out of all of us. Since that happened everyone I know bought both. To me safety was the biggest thing.
Great idea! :rck:

That Hopkins device is pretty simple and two holes is no big deal to drill. I'd use a step bit to make it look better, and before installing the bar, use touch up paint and lightly put a few coats around the bare metal. I've seen others install it with a 3/8 fuel line hose over the ends, drill the holes out a little bit bigger and keeps the metal on metal from eating the touch up paint.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just bought a hopkins. will let you guys know how it goes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.