DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a heatshield that has come loose and is vibrating on the cross pipe that comes from the Y pipe to the left catayltic converter on my D.

Is this foil heatshield necessary or can it be removed?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
my guess it helps keep some heat off the transmission when idling...

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Yes, unless you ceramic coat the pipe, heat will still me an issue.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Well you could shove some steel wool at either end between the pipe and the shield, then put a clamp over top of the pipe/shield to hold it snug (don't really tighten it down...)

I was almost hoping your noise was the same as my noise.. cause my noise goes away once warm (funny resonance seemingly from the exhaust @ 1700-1900rpm)

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well you could shove some steel wool at either end between the pipe and the shield, then put a clamp over top of the pipe/shield to hold it snug (don't really tighten it down...)

I was almost hoping your noise was the same as my noise.. cause my noise goes away once warm (funny resonance seemingly from the exhaust @ 1700-1900rpm)
The sound on my D can only be heard while idling...

What does the sound your D is making sound like?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I'm not sure I can get it on "film"... it's kinda like your rattle yet slightly different and rpm/load based only when cold. I know it's not driveline as I can replicate it in Park and N, just much less noticable.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
nope.. not on the cat back portion anyhow.. but I never checked the front heat shields.. or any heatshields actually....

·
Mopar Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11,190 Posts
Did you get your heat shield rattle fixed?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Maybe it's the exhaust manifolds :ugh
I hope not.. it does seem to sound like it's coming from behind the drivers seating posistion. or same spot as.. not from in front.

·
11,190 Posts
Nope... there's a video a few posts above. Took that vid this morning...
I'm sure that a muffler shop can apply some steel strips tacked on to help support it from rattling. Have them fix this up when they install the new exhaust. :rck:

·
Hemi User
1,719 Posts
2-1/2" hose clamps will fix the heat shield.

·
11,190 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.