DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys? I have a leak right by my passenger side wheel well and there is a leak that is coming out of a little black pvc pipe looking think that is not attached to anything. What the hell is it and what can I do to fix it? thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops sorry! I have a 2003 ram 1500 with the 4.7 8 cylinder. I filled the radiator up and it is draining know so that is not good. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
prepaidlegal said:
oops sorry! I have a 2003 ram 1500 with the 4.7 8 cylinder. I filled the radiator up and it is draining know so that is not good. Thanks in advance
Nop prob with you telling us that info You will get a response now. I called my buddy and he is about to reply to you as he thinks he knows what you are talking about. Look for a post from kruser79 here in a minute

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
If I'm understanding you right, it isn't anything to worry about.

First off:
The little black tube is the drainoff from the evaporator cannister in the HVAC ducting. When you run AC or Defrost it dehumidifies the cabin air and the moisture removed is sent out through that little tube. Wait for a really hot and humid day and you'll KNOW when your AC is working right because the water will absolutely RUN out of it.

Second:
Some of us here have experienced some coolant usage with the 4.7's. I think mine was caused by my constant downshifting (by constant, I mean I used engine braking more than I did that oblong pedal on the left, lol). A few others mentioned noticeable coolant loss when they towed (downshifting and engine braking on hills, go figger). I haven't topped off my degasser tank once since I quit using the engine to slow down.

Oh, and welcome to DT! :D :rck:

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
dale3fan3 said:
Nop prob with you telling us that info You will get a response now. I called my buddy and he is about to reply to you as he thinks he knows what you are talking about. Look for a post from kruser79 here in a minute
Bingo :D

Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 30 seconds. :VHOT: Demmit! :D

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
prepaidlegal said:
Wait, are you saying you're losing coolant? Where is this tube you were talking about?

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Oh yeah..."What 30 second rule?" lol....

No prob, just trying now to nail down exactly where his problem may be...
Hey prepaid, how often are you adding coolant, and how quick are you losing it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man you are very helpful! I thank everyone for the help. I have added some water one time and it seemed to drain. The black tube is just sticking out of an area right beside the passenger wheel well. The area looks like silver if that helps. Thanks once again :rck:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also would that tube be just dripping when for a little while after the truck is just turned off. I have been immobile for about 4 hours know and there is a big puddle of water on my garage floor and I just filled my radiator back up as well to see if it drains anymore. thanks

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
prepaidlegal said:
Man you are very helpful! I thank everyone for the help. I have added some water one time and it seemed to drain. The black tube is just sticking out of an area right beside the passenger wheel well. The area looks like silver if that helps. Thanks once again :rck:
Theres good people on here man. We all try to help out.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Okay. Then it's the one on the firewall, facing into the engine compartment. That's the HVAC drain. It probably LOOKED like you added coolant and it dribbled right out.

I gotta admit, it'd probably freak me out too if I just added some type of fluid and saw something leaking out, lol.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
prepaidlegal said:
also would that tube be just dripping when for a little while after the truck is just turned off. I have been immobile for about 4 hours know and there is a big puddle of water on my garage floor and I just filled my radiator back up as well to see if it drains anymore. thanks
Is it cold where you are? Have you been running the Defrost (or any combo with the Defrost symbol)? If so, yes, it'll run out of there for a little while.

Defrost and AC kick the compressor in. This is what dehumidifies the cabin, and that's where the water is coming from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no I live in florida and it was nice today. I had the windows down and everything. Should the levels of the water I put in be going down if it is just the drain?

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
It depends on how quickly you're talking about them dropping. I wouldn't fret over a couple of quarts every couple of months or so. Quite a few of the members here have mentioned using coolant to one degree or another....

Oh, one more thing. Is it clear water? or is it anti-freeze on the floor? (Silly me, I missed the obvious first question...boy, am I red-faced, lol.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
anti-freeze was on the deck and I smelled anti-freeze in the truck when I was driving earlier! and it is coming out as I put in not a period of months. I put it in and slowly but faster than should it is coming out

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Ah dammit, sorry! That's what I get for not getting all the facts first. It looks like you've got a heater core leak. I don't think it's a job for the faint-hearted, which is going to equate to a decent bill for someone else to do it. Every task I've looked up in the service manual that concerns getting into the HVAC unit is pretty rough looking.

Again, I apologize. I assumed a little too much when answering before.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Where you at prepaid?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.