DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a problem i'm trying to figure out..

the heater in my 98 durango isn't putting out heat..

heres the facts.

the engine temps are running fine when its warmed up the engine is at about 160 to 180 on the temp gauge.

I just changed the thermostat so thats brand new.

after the engine is warmed up and I turn on the heater I get warm air for about 2 seconds. then it goes cold.

There are two heater hoses one from the block to the firewall and the other from the water pump to the firewalll

The heater hose from the block gets hot to the touch.. but the heater hose that connects to the water pump gets a little warm but not hot.

I am leaning towards trying new hoses in case its a collaped hose but thought I'd post here to see if anyone has any other ideas on what it could be..

thanks

Delbert

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
When I first started to read your post, I thought that maybe your temperature control cable in the dash is loose or need adjustment (it's the cable that operates the blend door that controls the mix of hot and cold air.)

However, if there's a big difference in temperature flowing into and out of your heater core, I wonder if there's a blockage in the core or one of the hoses. It wouldn't be expensive or difficult to replace the hoses, and while you have them disconnected, back-flush the heater core with a garden hose.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
sounds like a classic example of bad blend door actuator. Unfortunately to fix, you need to remove most the interior forward of the front seats to get to the HVAC unit. Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's not the heater core. I just put a brand new heater core in my truck, I had the whole dash apart. The core is even twice as big as my previous one. Something is really screwy.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
There was a thread on this a while back that I recall reading, but not "reading" if you know what i mean. I believe CanyonD is right about the blend door. THe symptoms were exactly the same, normal temps, momentary heat at first then nothing.

If you search through the threads for heat or heater or something like that it'll come up I'm sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.