DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Powered By Coors
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I did the heater core today... 8 hrs start to finish.. The biggest pain was removing the dash and A/C lines. $95.00 for the core $16.00 for misc hoses/clamps $90.00 for A/C service.... much cheaper than the dealer and I have piece of mind that it was done right..... :rck: :D

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
nice work. You definitley saved yourself a ton of cash. My a/c is shot but I'm afraid to take it in to see whats wrong because I'm afraid they'll say its a $1000 job.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
!! Did you do the evaporator core as well?? Another common thing to go wrong, wouldn't want to have to rip that dash apart again!

·
Powered By Coors
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
didn't do the evap... guys who did the A/C service checked it out before the job and said they saw no iminent failure.... hope they are right !!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Kind of like cap and rotor during a plenum install. If it's accessible, do it!

·
Powered By Coors
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
didn't think about pictures until it was all back together.... sorry

·
Registered
51 Posts
Grantman31 said:
!! Did you do the evaporator core as well?? Another common thing to go wrong, wouldn't want to have to rip that dash apart again!
...........I did both, had my mechanic do it however, not enuff time myself to do it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
heater core questions

would you please elaborate on the process , I just bought a Ram 1500 2 days ago and now I realize that the heater core is leaking , now i am debating to take it somewhere or do it myself,, and whats with the heator core anyway i have never had a vehicle that the heater core has gone bad :VHOT: any help would be appreciated thank you
Steve

·
Powered By Coors
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been gone hunting sorry it took so long to get back to you. If you tackle the job yourself, the 1st thing you have to do is have the A/C evacuated. The next thing is to remove the dashboard. That entails removing the insturment cluster, driver side access cover under the steering wheel, lowering the steering colum, removing the stereo, ash tray, cup holder, ABS box cover, disconnect all the wireing harnesses connected to the dash, then removing the bolts across the top of the dash by the windsheild and behind the kick panels under the dash on both sides. The dash will then come out. Next you have to remove the heater-A/C housing. You have to disconnect the A/C lines and the heater hoses to the core. Remove the evap canister and PCM module (do not disconnect the wires, just unscrew from firewall and set aside) then remove the 3-4 nuts holding the housing in place. There are 2-3 nuts inside the cab that need to be removed too. Once the housing is out, remove the 2 screws holding the core in, remove the core and reverse the procedure. Get a factory manual or equivilant before you styart the job. I saved $500+ by doing it myself. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey 96RAM25004x4 bravo!!!! I need to do both of mine (a/c and heat). It scares the sh t outta me to rip the dash out and get it all back together the right way! It also scares me to have someone else do it the wrong way! It's been 2 summers now with no a/c, my heat works fine but smells like someone puked into the fresh air duct, I don't know what the hell it is but my girl don't like driving with me nomore. :dunno:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Does anyone know what that smell could be from, I heard it might have something to do with mold or mildew built up on the heater core itself, I know they sell a cleaning solution similar to lysol that you spray directly into your duct system, was wondering if any of you guys ever used it and how it worked. thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
wel its finally done. it took me forever!, because i had to work at 5 the three day it ook me, so right as i got some momentum i would have to stop and go to work. i had to reset my breaklights because i moved the little box thingy from the pedal. the best part is i only have 4 screws left over. im going in the morning to get the system recharged. hope theres no leaks and everything goes fine. everything seems fine tho after hooking everything up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.