DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My heater blower only works on full high. I checked the switch and that's working OK. The Haynes manual shows an A/C resistor that looks like it's supposed to divide the voltage to the blower, so maybe that's it. But the manual doesn't give much in the way of locating this resistor or what it looks like.

I found another thread from back in Dec. that helps a little. But when I look under the glovebox, there are a few things in there with electrical connections. Which one is the resistor? Any details on what the resistance should be between the different points?

Oh yeah, I've got a '97 2500 with the 318.

Thanks.

--Marc

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
It's not under the glovebox, it's behind it. Open the glovebox door and "pop" the glovebox liner out....you should see the resistor behind it. Here's some pics. Sorry I don't know the ohm values for each circuit of the resistor.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Nate, but my van must be set up differently. The only thing behind the glovebox liner is the intermittent wiper control. I've got the flasher relays to the right and a mystery box beneath the liner. I can't reach the rear screw for that one to find out what it is, but it's got a dozen or so wires coming into it, so I'm sure it's not the resistor. I couldn't see anything beneath it, either.

So that's about all that's in that area.

--Marc

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Interesting....they must have changed something between '94 and '97. I don't have a '97 manual that shows the location of the resistor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, if they didn't change things, how could they justify getting paid avery year? :WHT: I'll take a look in my library for the Chilton's on this.

Thanks again.

--Marc

·
BoJivin'
1,645 Posts
I know on y 89 dakota the resitors where under the hood, on the passengear side of the fire wall. maybe they moved it back there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No luck finding the resistor on the blower motor. And if it's on the firewall, it's behind the A/C. I also read somewhere else that it could be inside the air duct on the passenger side. I went to take that off, but the Magilla that put it on torqued one of the screws so tight that it bit into the plastic duct deep enough that my socket doesn't reach. And it's the screw way to the right, where only a socket will reach.

I also found a Haynes picture with the resistor, but it showed it where everyone says it's supposed to be; behind the glovebox. Then I traced the blower motor wiring until it joined a bunch of others in a taped-up harness. Lots of other wires join and exit this group, and I couldn't find a resistor box at any visible end.

I think this round goes to Dodge. Taking the A/C off is just not something I'm excited to do, especially if I'm not sure it's really behind there. Same with that air duct. I could possibly figure out a way to carve the plastic around the screw head, but this is turning into a real project. I can live with just the high speed fan. The next time it's in the shop for something, I'll see if they can find it.

Thanks, all, for the ideas.

--Marc

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is kind of an old thread but for anyone who still cares, I finally found the resistor. I also have a '97 B2500 and the fan only works on high. Sound familiar?? The resistor is on the AC unit under the hood. Right side of the vehicle, your left facing the engine from the front. On the right side of the plastic cover over the evaporator there is kind of a flattened oval plastic assembly with a plug with four wires. Take out the 2 screws and unplug it and wiggle it around a bit. There is a long plastic bracket attached to it on the inside so it won't just slide right out, but it comes out without too much trouble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, airmail. It may be an old thread, but luckily I have it set to send notices when updated. I still hadn't found it and it's still blowing only on high. I'll take a look tonight.

I owe you one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow! I wish I had found that post sooner. Itwould have save me a lot of time searching. I had the glovebox out, the heater controls out, the dash apart, and searched all over under the hood. I have a Chilton's but they don't say anything about the resistor

Attachments

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
It's funny my '94 still has the resistor behind the glovebox. I'm not sure which year they moved the resistor, but '94 was the first year for the "modern" nose so I guess it retained some of the old design as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Airmail, I'm glad you didn't see that post. Otherwise you wouldn't have found mine and solved my problem. ;)

--Marc

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been watching this thread for over a month hoping someone else would find it. My only problem now is to find a new one. All the local stores want $22-$30 and have to special order it. The dealer has one but they were getting ready to close when I was talking to them on the phone. $22 at the dealer. It will have to wait until tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It turns out the resistors themselves, inside the box, are fine. But the connector rotted and melted. A new repair kit, with connector and wires, is $50!!! Sheesh! It doesn't look like something I'd find at Radio Shack, either. And since the rot got to both sides of the connector, I need to replace the resistor anyway. $72 for the deal.

At least it's real easy to do. Right out there, up front.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I wonder if that's a result of moving the resistor and connector outside. Your the second person that's had a problem with the resistor on the '97.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Here's a couple of Service Bulletins on some blower problems. You can probably pick up the parts cheaper on the web, some Mopar places sell parts at 30% off. www.tenaflyjeepmoparparts.com
I believe the wiring harness connector is part number 5019941AA and you can pick it up for $32 also the resistor should be around $10. You'll have to check with them to make sure of the part numbers and prices.

Front Blower Motor - Inoperative/Operates Erratically

NO: 24-06-97

GROUP: Heating & A/C

EFFECTIVE DATE: May 30, 1997

SUBJECT:
Front HVAC Blower Motor Resistor Connector Service

MODELS:

1996 - 1997 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1996 - 1997 (GS) Chrysler Voyager (International Market)

NOTE : THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO SEPTEMBER 6, 1996 (MDH 0906XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The front Heater/Ventilation/Air Conditioning (HVAC) blower motor is inoperative; is inoperative on one or more speeds; or operates only on "HIGH" speed.

DIAGNOSIS:

Visually inspect the front HVAC blower motor resistor and connector terminals for corrosion. If corrosion is discovered, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

AR (1) 05003316AA Wiring, Blower Motor Resistor Pigtail
AR (5) 04778570 Tube, Shrink
1 04677180AB Resistor, Front Blower Motor
AR(1) 04641780 Strap, Tie

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

This bulletin involves replacing the blower motor resistor and wiring connector with revised parts.

1. If equipped, remove the bracket on the A/C line from the right side strut tower mounting stud.

2. Obtain the revised front blower motor resistor, p/n 04677180AB, (and wiring repair components if they will be required). Examine the integral retainer clips of the resistor so it is understood what/where to push in on to release the resistor from the dash panel.

NOTE : DO NOT TRY TO PULL THE RESISTOR OUT OF THE DASH PANEL WITHOUT RELEASING THE CLIPS, OTHERWISE RETENTION TABS IN THE DASH PANEL WILL BE BENT MAKING IT VERY DIFFICULT TO REMOVE THE RESISTOR FROM THE CAVITY IN THE DASH PANEL.

3. Remove the resistor (located on the dash panel behind the right side strut tower) by inserting a flat blade tool behind inboard side of the fiber board of the resistor and pushing inward. Two guide lines are on the inboard side of the resistor to help align the blade position with the retention clip of the resistor. While fully pushing in the retention clip of the resistor gently pull on the resistor wiring to dislodge the resistor from the dash panel.

4. Disconnect the wiring connector from the resistor and discard the resistor.

5. Make sure the word "TOP" is on the top before installing the resistor. Install revised resistor into the dash panel by pushing it into opening until it snaps into place.

6. Visually inspect the front blower motor resistor connector and wiring for corrosion and/or damage. If corrosion or damage exists, cut the front blower motor resistor wiring and connector from the harness so all damaged portions are removed. Stagger the cuts so the wires are different lengths.

7. Use the procedure outlined on page 8W-01-7 of the 1997 Town & Country, Caravan and Voyager service manual (Publication No 81-370-7105) to splice wiring pigtail, p/n 05003316AA, to the harness.

8. Connect the blower motor resistor pigtail wiring to the resistor and verify proper blower motor operation.

9. Attach the A/C line bracket to the strut tower.

10. Secure the front blower motor resistor wiring with a tie strap to keep the wiring clear of any moving components.

Blower Fan - Operates On High Speed Only

NO: 24-05-97

GROUP: Heating & A/C

DATE: Apr. 18, 1997

SUBJECT:
Blower Fan Operates On High Speed Only

MODELS:
1997 (AB) Ram Van/Wagon

NOTE : THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH HEATER ONLY PACKAGES (NO AIR CONDITIONING) BUILT BEFORE JAN. 23, 1997 (MDH 0123XX). HEATER ONLY VEHICLES BUILT AFTER THAT DATE CAN BE IDENTIFIED BY THE INSTALLATION OF AN EVAPORATOR INTO THE HEATER HOUSING.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Heater blower fan motor does not operate on LOW or MED. speeds but functions normally on HIGH.

DIAGNOSIS:

Turn the ignition key to the RUN position. Operate the blower motor switch in LOW, MED, and HIGH speed positions and note blower motor fan operation. If the blower motor fan operates in the HIGH position but fails to operate in the LOW or MED. positions, perform the following Repair Procedure. If the blower motor does not operate in any position, perform a complete diagnosis of the blower motor electrical circuit. Refer to the 1997 Ram Van/Wagon Service Manual (Publication No. 81-370-7107), page 24-14 for information regarding blower motor diagnosis.

PARTS REQUIRED:

1 05003333AA Resistor, Blower Motor

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

This bulletin involves replacing the blower motor resistor with a revised part.

1. Record all radio station presets.

2. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

3. Unplug the wire harness connector from the blower motor resistor (Figure 1).

4. Remove the two screws that secure the resistor to the inboard side of the heater housing near the radiator support panel and remove the resistor.

5. Install the new resistor (p/n 05003333AA) into the heater housing and secure it with two mounting screws.

6. Plug the harness connector onto the resistor.

7. Connect the battery negative cable.

8. Program all radio presets recorded in step one and reset the clock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I stumbled onto this site yesterday while looking for information on my fan speed resistor problem. I didn't know where the resistor speed control was for a 98 Dodge B1500 van.

In case anyone else is looking into this...

I was 100% sure I had a resistor pak burned out also. I was in a hurry and got a new one at the dealer and went to put it in yesterday. Turned out that the connector was the issue and not the resistors. The connector must have gotten very hot because it was baked and distorted. I trimmed off some of the melted plastic, scraped the contacts inside the connector and the contacts on the old resistor pak. Plugged it in and it works fine. (for now) I doubt I can return the new part since it is electrical. Looks like the connector can't be vought separately though from what I've read. Guess if it has an issue again, I'll solder a different type of connector to the saved new part and attach the matching end to the wires. Maybe a trailer light connector would work well.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Dennis_H said:
I stumbled onto this site yesterday while looking for information on my fan speed resistor problem. I didn't know where the resistor speed control was for a 98 Dodge B1500 van.

In case anyone else is looking into this...

I was 100% sure I had a resistor pak burned out also. I was in a hurry and got a new one at the dealer and went to put it in yesterday. Turned out that the connector was the issue and not the resistors. The connector must have gotten very hot because it was baked and distorted. I trimmed off some of the melted plastic, scraped the contacts inside the connector and the contacts on the old resistor pak. Plugged it in and it works fine. (for now) I doubt I can return the new part since it is electrical. Looks like the connector can't be vought separately though from what I've read. Guess if it has an issue again, I'll solder a different type of connector to the saved new part and attach the matching end to the wires. Maybe a trailer light connector would work well.
This connector should be available from Dodge under parts number 05019941AA. It may also be available from othere sources like NAPA, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.